[Blue Yeti] how to avoid traffic and background noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 19, 2015
Hi,

I live in an environment where there is a lot of traffic noise and people shouting, etc. even though I set the gain totally low the noises are getting captured and I have my PC near a window and the noises are coming from all directions, even if I close the windows still the sounds are captured especially the vehicle horns and these sounds are like 24/7.

I think people who might be using a headphone will be annoyed when listening to my recording.

What should I do in this case, shall I compromise and focus on my recordings?

Please suggest.

Thanks in advance

accessrandom

Great
Feb 12, 2018
Place it in cardoid mode if you haven't already. But even the most omnidirectional microphone won't be able to perform miracles when there's too much background noise.

You may need to build your own sound isolation box to dampen the noises around you. If it were a constant white noise or hum, you could remove it using Audacity post-process, but the car horns would be a problem.

Tom72468

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016
Download Voicemeeter @ https://www.vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/index.htm. It's free, and you can get rid of exactly that kind of background noise (Not sure about the car horns, though), as well as making your Yeti sound a bit more professional. There are videos on YouTube to help if needed.

Jun 19, 2015

Could you please tell me what kind of sound isolation box would suit to a blue yeti attached to Rode PSA 1 using blue radius 2 shock mount?

Also do I need to use a headphone all the time because the system volume also plays when recording game play videos does that system volume mess up the recording?, please guide me I am new to all this stuff, when I record a tutorial using camtasia the voice over is fine but when I am recording gameplay videos using in game overlay (Nvidia) there is some disturbance in the voice recording.

I have also seen this thread about low mic volume https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/763698/geforce-experience/mic-volume-in-shadowplay-recordings-is-far-too-quiet/ and this http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3295199/nvidia-shadowplay-recording-low-game-volume.html but I don't see Nvidia Capture Server in my system is it because now shadow play is updated to in game overlay?

Please suggest.

Jul 30, 2018
I had the same problem. Turns out the only fix was to do the opposite of what almost everyone says. Turn the gain on the Yeti mic all the way up and the mic level in windows to like %10.

Reactions: Bansai

patrock1983

Prominent
Sep 12, 2017
Using a gate on your mic input would help. A gate in a nutshell, sets a signal level for the microphone to pick up. So when you aren't talking into the mic, it should essentially kill the mic signal until you talk again. Voice Meter Banana has a simple Gate you can use. It also has a compressor with will "thicken" your sound as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.