Bon Jovi: Steve Jobs Killed Music Industry

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

who would buy off iTunes? you get one download for your money and if you loose the music to a hard drive failure you can't download it again with out paying... I still buy CD's if they are mixed artist hits, only so i know i have a backup, if i want singles i use another place other than iTunes or torrent them.

robd007

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
[citation][nom]need4speeds[/nom]Well i had the LP, bon jovie, Their debut album, Their first album was not so bad, their second, "new jersy" kinda suked. So that spelled the end for the band really. You cant blame apple for that. And by the way i bought that LP on vynl when the apple IIc was brand new. You know how long ago that is? At home we had a brand new 80386 running win 3.11 playing games like quake, decent, daytona usa. U know it ran at 40mhz? yeah 40 mhz. I believe that album sold reasonably well, if bon jovie did not invest money back then, say buy some apple stock or something like gold or real estate. Then that is not our problem, quit blaming apple for that. "let it rock, let it roll, i got the music, give me some more" bon jovie, lol.[/citation]

good luck runnin quake on a 386

rayvaughansucks

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]iTunes didn't kill the music industry. Crap music killed the music industry. Not sure I agree with comments made by a guy that wrote a bunch of songs, when only a handful of them don't completely suck.Microsoft also has done their fair share. Most people on PCs use Windows. An OS should have better copyright protection. It's very easy to rip an MP3 off of a YouTube video. MP3s should be just as protected as Windows operating systems themselves to prevent such sharing. That's not exactly the consumer's fault. Someone left a hole wide open.[/citation]Idiot.

teknomedic

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
strange, the music industry seems to be doing pretty well for itself considering everyone is saying "it's dead" or "killed".

Seems artists are still making music... and money.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
I think the car killed the horse and buggy business... Get over it or get with the new game. I think the next generation will finally recognize the excess of waste that we bathed in.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I got to thinking, it's not really iTunes' fault, either. For instance, I can only remember the names of about a dozen songs written since 1991. After that, there's really been nothing but crappy music being put out with no staying power.

I mean, really. It's like "ooh that mm Bop band" or that band that does "Let the Bodies it the floor!" or the band that has all those annoyingly catchy songs that one can learn on the guitar in 5 seconds. The one where the singer committed suicide in his home in Seattle. Really, I can name these bands personally but I'm just trying to prove a point.

G

iTunes is the one who has killed the music industry. Medium preferences aside, the reason iTunes is destroying the music industry is because artists make VERY LITTLE MONEY off of it. An artist is lucky to make 10 cents from your 99 cent song, and where does the rest of that money go? iTunes makes Apple and Steve Jobs loads of money by ripping off the artists.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Er... no Jon Bon Jovi. Jobs didn't do it... he perhaps helped it with itunes.

You're living in the era of LPs, tapes and CDs. When listening to an album was a chore (I still have my records - with nothing to play them on). Tapes always sounded like crap compared to an LP.

A number of people here got it right.
1- Much of todays music is crap.. with only 2~4 good songs per album.
2- People/kids cant/dont want to spend $15 per album... when they can get a good amount of songs from 3-4 artist for the same money.
3- Times change.... we're not in the 80s or 90s.
4- Having a tiny MP3 player in your pocket (or phone) when doing a work out is great. FAR better than a skipping & scratching CD player and a tape-eating cassette player.
5- We can fit thousands of songs in a smaller space of a 90m cassette tape. No rewinding, flipping or changing out a disc.

If anything - having the ability to BUY exactly what songs we want, allows us to buy from more artist. And that is a GOOD thing.

killbits

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
hey bon jovi, maybe if your music didn't completely suck, people would buy more of it.

[citation][nom]distortion[/nom]The flipping through pages is nice, but its really the uncompressed quality of CD music that shines. [/citation]

FLAC is CD-quality, yet compressed. No human ear can tell the difference, and it takes about 1/2 the space of an uncompressed CD. I don't think your logic holds up here.

rquick

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
Jobs didn't kill the music industry, the music industry has been committing slow suicide for years. People want convenience and digital music offers convenience in spades. If the industry embraces that they will thrive. Things move on - adapt and grow or whither and die. The music industry has been so busy counting their money they dropped out of school and didn't pay attention to history class. Go and Google dinosaurs and extinction guys. Should make some interesting reading when you see what happens to things that can't adapt. I didn't realize Bon Jovi was so freakin' old. I'm older than he is and the record store experience from the 70's was pretty poor by comparison to buying digital music or cd's from Amazon. I've never used itunes. They blew it with crazy DRM rules as far as I'm concerned. I know they have changed a little, but too little and too late for me. And the last thing I would want to do now is to deal with a bunch of delicate lp's that generally sounded like crap, even with ultra expensive hardware. Today's cd remasters are far superior. Now if somebody today would just make some decent new rock so we actually had something to buy that wasn't jazz or classical or classic rock.

need4speeds

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
good luck runnin quake on a 386

sorry i was thinking of "Spear of Destiny" and not quake.
the games i said, i remember now it was upgraded later to a k6-200, sorry about that.
It was a long while ago ok since the bon jovie LP was released.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Evolution and the inability of the previous labels to evolve with the new tech killed it. Today mothers and their kids have to be ruined for life by the last remnants of the old record empires in the form of RIAA. I miss the CD era but when i see how the money from that time is used to ruin peoples life for a few tracks they shared rather than paying the people who created the tracks i regret ever spending dime on it!

G

I hate Apple but I have to cover for Steve on this one!!!! Bon Jovi your just pissed because now YOU GOTTA WORK HARD FOR YOUR MONEY lol which is actually a song from some other artist awhile back. Shut your mouth and count your money in your mansion while the economy keeps on falling around you.

someonewhoknowsalittle

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
Jon Bon Jovi is a despicable, greedy a-hole.
He loved the by-gone days when little kids would spend their whole allowance on his albums that had only 1 or 2 good songs on them, because they liked those 1 or 2 songs and weren't able to listen to the rest of the album. He took all the allowance money from little children and used it to buy his cars, his houses, and his exotic lifestyle. Wow, what a hero, you are, Jon Bon Jovi, taking the allowance money from children and giving them back 10 crappy tunes and 1-2 hits per album. And you miss those halcyon days? You're no hero, Jon Bon Jovi. You're a parasite. Now that we can preview your songs before buying them, we'll buy only the good ones and you can s-ck on the bad ones, and there's many of them, yourself all day long.

G

lol I think if you look at it from the artists view point these services where you can buy one song and try stuff out before you buy sucks big time. Can't get away with a crap album and one good song to lure everyone into buying said crap album anymore.... Oh the shame!

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]need4speeds[/nom]Well i had the LP, bon jovie, Their debut album, Their first album was not so bad, their second, "new jersy" kinda suked. So that spelled the end for the band really. You cant blame apple for that. And by the way i bought that LP on vynl when the apple IIc was brand new. You know how long ago that is? At home we had a brand new 80386 running win 3.11 playing games like quake, decent, daytona usa. U know it ran at 40mhz? yeah 40 mhz. I believe that album sold reasonably well, if bon jovie did not invest money back then, say buy some apple stock or something like gold or real estate. Then that is not our problem, quit blaming apple for that. "let it rock, let it roll, i got the music, give me some more" bon jovie, lol.[/citation]

I have to question your memory here, as New Jersey was their fourth album following 7800° Fahrenheit and Slippery When Wet... which is ironic considering Let It Rock is from Slippery When Wet and you seemed to have forgotten that record (and I'm not sure what those lyrics are you posted). :p

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Just because the music industry is slowly losing it's choke hold grip on the consumer isn't a bad thing.

iTunes allowed people to make informed choices about the albums they wanted to download, not any of this imagination based off the cover art or whatever. It isn't killing the music industry, it's simply not contributing to false economy anymore...

Status
Not open for further replies.