'Boot Configuration Data File is Missing' while booting from CD.

_ryoma

Prominent
Mar 31, 2017
Hello,
I bought an used Asus K55VM without HDD. Luckily, I had a spare HDD, so I put it in. I inserted a Windows 7 Ultimate x64 CD, opened BIOS to change the boot device priority. I left suprised because there was no booting devices recognized. [http://i.imgur.com/EyQ9BEz.jpg] I tried opening boot menu, no different. I figured out I will have to update BIOS. I downloaded a newest BIOS for this laptop from original Asus website. When I entered Bios Easy Flash, and navigated to my USB stick to get the update file, pressed enter, and a message popped up saying something like: "The BIOS name and the model name don't match". I found out the BIOS on this laptop was for K55VJ (exact same thing, except HD webcam). Since there was no safe way to flash BIOS other way, I gave up and started googling. I found out this laptop only supports CDs with Windows 8.1. I went ahead and burned a trial version of W8.1 I downloaded from Microsoft. When I inserted the CD into the laptop, BIOS found it, an usual text "Press any key to boot from the CD". (I was happy at this point, because I spent 3 hours searching) I pressed a key, it froze for 3 seconds leaving me with this message [http://i.imgur.com/V5088qy.jpg]. When I tried to google it, every result was associated with already installed Windows, while my HDD was empty. (Note: The KV55VM models were selling without any OS pre-installed).

I'm stuck at this point, I tried swtiching from AHCI to IHE, results were no different. I also tried installing it on my desktop, everything went fine, so there is no way the problem could be in CD/ISO file itself. I also tried to move the HDD to my dads laptop and installed W8 there, but when I put the HDD back in, BIOS didn't recognize it as bootable device.

I remember reading something about disabling Safe Boot and enabling CSM to install other OS, but I couldn't find these options anywhere in BIOS.

I never had such a problem EVER, and I already installed OS for more than 10 laptops... Someone help me with this please...

Mister_MO

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016
Its not safe boot but secure boot you need disable, after disabling it save bios and go in again and you should have option launch csm or something csm, enable this and you should be able to boot normally without efi boot.

_ryoma

Prominent
Mar 31, 2017

Thanks for telling me about CSM; but there is no Secure Boot option anywhere in my BIOS. I searched through it several times, opening every folder.

_ryoma

Prominent
Mar 31, 2017

It should be there; but it isn't. I checked everything as I said before. There should be no need for secure boot since this laptop was originally sold without any OS.

_ryoma

Prominent
Mar 31, 2017

Well, in the first picture (linked in the text) I took a photo of my Boot Tab and all of the options above 'delete boot options' are greyed out, even when I insert the recognized CD.