Bose Home Theatre Speakers connected to my PC

Joshbad

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Hello, just recently i found a ad on craigslist, he is selling a set of Bose Acoustimass speakers, which is a 5.1 system. Also included is a Yamaha HTR-5550 Receiver, to go along with said speakers. Its all really cheap, because hes moving, but I hardly use my TV at all, and would be very interested for hooking up these high end speakers to my computer. Now I guess my question is, how difficult would this be? I've always taken the easy route and just bought 5.1 computer speakers which are fairly simple to hook up being made for a computer and all. Would it be even possible to hook up the receiver to my computer, and have surround sound out of this home theater system?

http://usa.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/htr/htr-5550_black__u/?mode=model that is a link to the receiver

There are two models of bose acoustimass speakers that are 5.1, and the guy on craigslist hasn't told me which one he owns yet, so its either the
Bose Acoustimass 6 speakers: http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/home_theater/home_theater_speakers/acoustimass_6/index.jsp
or the
Bose Acoustimass 10 Speakers: http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/home_theater/home_theater_speakers/acoustimass_10/index.jsp

As far as my sound card, its a fairly high end, the Creative Titanium Fatal1ty Series, which does have both a optical in and optical out which my research indicates will most likely be needed. Also of course it has the standard jacks for hooking up computer speakers.
If you need any other information please don't hesitate to ask.

Solution
one look at the bose online manual says the speakers plug in to the bass module.. and the bass module has wires that plug into the rear of the receiver, at the normal speaker outputs.
then the rca plug for the subwoofer goes into the LFE connection on the back of the receiver.

the yamaha website says you can connect your soundcard to the receiver with a digital or analog connection.
that means you can connect the 3.5mm headphone outputs of the soundcard to the RCA inputs of the receiver with a 3.5mm (stereo) to RCA 'Y-adaptor'

or

connect the digital output of the soundcard to the receiver's RCA input with a 3.5mm to RCA adaptor.
i have stereo Y-adaptors.. and i have always plugged the 3.5mm into the soundcard.. and then figured out...

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
one look at the bose online manual says the speakers plug in to the bass module.. and the bass module has wires that plug into the rear of the receiver, at the normal speaker outputs.
then the rca plug for the subwoofer goes into the LFE connection on the back of the receiver.

the yamaha website says you can connect your soundcard to the receiver with a digital or analog connection.
that means you can connect the 3.5mm headphone outputs of the soundcard to the RCA inputs of the receiver with a 3.5mm (stereo) to RCA 'Y-adaptor'

or

connect the digital output of the soundcard to the receiver's RCA input with a 3.5mm to RCA adaptor.
i have stereo Y-adaptors.. and i have always plugged the 3.5mm into the soundcard.. and then figured out which RCA plug has the signal on it.
plugged it in and let the other RCA cord lay there without connected to anything.

the only thing you need to really figure out is if the bose speakers are 4 or 8 ohms.. because the yamaha receiver has a selector to switch between 4 or 8 ohms.

**edit**

the difference between the version 6 and version 10 is:
- version 6 has one cube speaker and one 5.25" subwoofer inside the bass module
- version 10 has two cube speakers that can be twisted and two 5.25 inch subwoofers inside the bass module.

Solution

Joshbad

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009

Thanks! Answered all my questions

gadgetgeekstv

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
Hi guys,

Thought some of you might be interested in this opportunity...

I work for Bullseye TV and we're producing a brand new 12-part series all about the newest technology and gadgets for Sky1HD. We are looking for gadget and music enthusiasts who are interested in testing out the latest high-end speakers with us and appearing on TV.

If you are interested in this opportunity, please contact Alex.Kent@bullseyetv.co.uk or 02031893175 for more information.