Broken laptop, wont boot , cant reinstall.

TheSimpleton69

Estimable
Jan 3, 2015
Hi all, just turned on my PC the other day and now for some reason, most of the data on the HHD has been corrupted, but some of the OS still remains and its trying to boot off that but fails every time.

It wont let me load a new windows gives me an error saying system registry is missing or corrupt.

I feel the only option is to wipe the HHD but im not sure how too without partitioning it via the installing a new windows.

Solution
G
You can do one thing..Get a HDD enclosure & plug in the internal HDD. Then try to connect it to a laptop if you have 1 or if your friend has one, then see if the HDD shows up as a removable drive. If it does, then the hdd is ok. You may even be lucky to get all the data off the disk. If not, then either the hdd is malfucntioning or maybe the BIOS is corrupted. Check & reply back.

TheSimpleton69

Estimable
Jan 3, 2015
It used to be a windows 8 OS, so i had to change the boot mode to CSM so i could boot it of a USB like you could on windows 7. If i change that back to the windows 8 UEFI it gives me and error - Media Check [Fail] then says reboot the machine and try again.

G

You can do one thing..Get a HDD enclosure & plug in the internal HDD. Then try to connect it to a laptop if you have 1 or if your friend has one, then see if the HDD shows up as a removable drive. If it does, then the hdd is ok. You may even be lucky to get all the data off the disk. If not, then either the hdd is malfucntioning or maybe the BIOS is corrupted. Check & reply back.

Solution