Browser Version of Office Appears Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

liemfukliang

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2008
Wao... I hope Telkomsel Flash User can use this with 6 KB/s. The most slow and expensive Internet in Indonesia 6 KB/s at expense 6 BIC MAC in a month unlimited. Damn I really want to use the office online. But can I?

hunter315

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Some how i find this a bit less useful than google docs, i mean who thought it was a good idea to release word without the ability to edit documents? Without that ability you might as well just call it the MS Word Reader, hopefully it will be a bit lighter on the system than acrobat.

tinnerdxp

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
and it probably requires IE7+ and installs a custom ActiveX control called Office13 that weighs about 500MB :))))
But seriously... I wonder whether it will work in anything but IE.?

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]cruiseoveride[/nom]But is it free?[/citation]
Probably not, but that doesn't matter! Almost all companies of a respectable size has bought licenses for microsoft office (perhaps in addition to using openoffice or similar package), and for those companies it's a welcome news. Everyone's connected to the internet, especially businesses. So if you have to use your mobile broadband connection to open word, fine, so be it. It's still cheaper to buy a license per employee than buying one per pc, and it'll ease servicing immensely as downtime is unlikely. We ARE talking microsoft, not google or twitter - and microsoft's never down.

I think this kind of software will become a lot more widespread as web interfaces evolve. The fact that many casual games have moved from being silly visual basic programs to being flash or java based games indicates the direction.
I tihnk only hardware intensive stuff (autodesk, high profile games, photoshop etc) and interface limited applications (plc programming software etc) will be limited for the time being. Until cloud stuff takes off, which it will as it more or less guarantees licensing money from customers, and with the option to passthru serial and usb links over the interweb.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
This will make government data mining much more meaningful and thorough. They'll be able to maintain a full library of every document a business or person uses.

They just have to keep people away from alternatives like Open Office.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]jalek[/nom]This will make government data mining much more meaningful and thorough. They'll be able to maintain a full library of every document a business or person uses.They just have to keep people away from alternatives like Open Office.[/citation]
Shouldn't be hard. Having been exposed to more Open office menace than I'd ever thought possible, I can say that it is in no way a threat to microsoft's unless we look at purchase cost solely.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]JohnnyLucky[/nom]I'm guessing this Microsoft effort is aimed at the corporate world. What happens if there is a major problem with the web?[/citation]
then it won't matter, as nothing else the company does works anyway.

backbydemand

Distinguished
May 26, 2008
[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]then it won't matter, as nothing else the company does works anyway.[/citation]

Damn, beat me to it. Got a good point though, I work service desk and when the network goes down it's pretty much down tools till it is fixed. That's why firms like AT&T and BT invest so much effort to make sure the network doesn't go down.

backbydemand

Distinguished
May 26, 2008
[citation][nom]liemfukliang[/nom]Wao... I hope Telkomsel Flash User can use this with 6 KB/s. The most slow and expensive Internet in Indonesia 6 KB/s at expense 6 BIC MAC in a month unlimited. Damn I really want to use the office online. But can I?[/citation]

Over 17500 islands, 6000 are inhabited and 237 million people over huge tracts of open ocean, over 150 active volcanoes, regular earthquakes and tsunamis. Let's see an integrated telecommunication network in that kind of environment!

Just to rub the Indonesian noses in it, didn't T-Mobile announce 21Mb mobile broadband? GODDAMM!!! I love living in the West.

E7130

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]doomtomb[/nom]We are talking about Microsoft here.... of course not[/citation]

Yes it's FREE, they have already stated it would be.

G

In google docs it's already long possible to make excel files etc...

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Apple's browser does work on pc.
(Safari for Windows.)
Office online will only run on Windows computers with IE and maybe Firefox because a lot of people are using it.
(But firefox uses standardized java and other stuff that are also supported in other browsers e.g. Opera, Safari in the same way.)
This means, if they make it to work on Firefox, it will probably work on Opera, Safari, Chrome,...

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
That's the advantage of standards, they provide a path for compatibility between different products.
Don't settle for interopability only, it only means a big fat fail to standards compliance!

Status
Not open for further replies.