Bypass Canon T4i 30 min mark in video mode

SUDO_SU

Commendable
May 9, 2016
I have a Canon T4i how do i bypass the 30 min record in video mode. Like every time i am recording in video mode and when it gets near 30 min mark it all of sudden stops recording and thus i have to press the record button again.. I have 32GB SD card so space should not be a problem.. How can i bypass this time limit to extend the recording without it stopping? Thanks

Solution
As an owner of a Canon T4i I can verify that there is no way to bypass the 30 minute recording limit. Well, at least none that I know of and I have searched for a way around it and have found nothing that is able to bypass the 30 minute limit. In certain countries if the recording limit is over 30 minutes then it is taxed as a camcorder and at a higher tax rate.

bjornl

Estimable
Unfortunately you really can't get past this. It is implemented in firmware due to certain tax laws. However there is a hack called Magic Lantern that is a new (non-canon) firmware which when installed has a feature which tries to auto-resume a video recording, however there is a noticeable gap when this occurs as a few seconds gets dropped.
If you need to record longer than 30 minutes at a time and want the controls and quality of a DSLR-type camera, then your only option is to use one of the Panasonic GH series cameras (gh1, gh2, gh3, gh4). I have to record events and needed long recording times. I rented the gh3 and gh4 and bought the gh3.

As an owner of a Canon T4i I can verify that there is no way to bypass the 30 minute recording limit. Well, at least none that I know of and I have searched for a way around it and have found nothing that is able to bypass the 30 minute limit. In certain countries if the recording limit is over 30 minutes then it is taxed as a camcorder and at a higher tax rate.

Solution

bjornl

Estimable

It is not the bitrate or the buffer. It is done on purpose to avoid DSLRs being taxed at a higher rate in some markets. Without a 3rd party (like the Magic Lantern option I mentioned) it can not even be "kinda-sorta" exceeded.
What is more even a few seconds spent doing math could show you it is not related to the buffer or the bitrate. How big is the buffer? What is your proposed frame size? What is your proposed frame rate? So (frame size) X (frames per second) x (seconds per minute (60)) x (total minutes of recording (in your mind somewhere well in excess of 30, but lets just use 30)
I can save you the math and tell you that even if you exceeded the best codec out there by several orders of magnitude, the buffer won't be large enough to play a role.