Can a 500 watt amp push a 700 watt sub , amp ( rockford fosgate) ,sub( db )

jrealme55

Prominent
Nov 13, 2017
So i have a 500 watt amp thats a rockford fosgate , and i have a 10 inch db sub at 700 watts , will they work good ? I dont want to risk frying the amp.

Solution
Weaker amp, stronger speaker --> nothing bad will happen. The worse thing could happen is only that the sound would perhaps not loud enough. You can simply try and see.

Stronger amp, weaker speaker --> bad thing could happen only on higher volume (quite rare to happen). You might wanna be careful a bit. Sound could be also too loud on lower volume.

Your case: weaker amp, stronger speaker. Just try and see :) .

True Buie

Commendable
Aug 29, 2016
Heyo jrealme55
You might aswell try. The worst thing that can happen is that the sub won't be loud enough for you. If that's the case you know the amp is a little overwhelmed.

Cheers

guanyu210379

Distinguished
Weaker amp, stronger speaker --> nothing bad will happen. The worse thing could happen is only that the sound would perhaps not loud enough. You can simply try and see.

Stronger amp, weaker speaker --> bad thing could happen only on higher volume (quite rare to happen). You might wanna be careful a bit. Sound could be also too loud on lower volume.

Your case: weaker amp, stronger speaker. Just try and see :) .

Solution

jeffreyleclair

Prominent
Nov 13, 2017
When you're matching a power amp to a speaker setup, a good rule of thumb is to pick an amplifier that can deliver power equal to twice the speaker's program rating. ... For a stereo pair of speakers, the amplifier should be rated at 700 watts per channel into 8 ohms.

Best,
Jeffrey LeClair
[Thanks for helping. But don't advertise your business ]