Can ear buds be used as a microphone and a headset on a desktop using the audio port

Apr 28, 2018
Can you plug in your earbuds and use it as a listening device and a mic. It works on my laptop but cant get it to work on my pc which is annoying.

Solution
Nope, the mic wouldn't work, I think. You can try but I don't think the contact surfaces match for a standard mic plug. One splitter is also a lot cheaper than two earphones. :)
Another option is obviously to buy a dedicated mic, either table mounted or snap on for your headphones. Then you'd be able to get a properly amplified condenser mic to get a much clearer sound than that tinny sound you get from a mobile quality mic. USB powered mics are probably the cheapest condenser mic option. They need more power than a 3.5 mm jack can produce.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
You might need a splitter. You can get them at places like eBay and Amazon. Make sure it's made for your device type (iPhone, Samsung or general Android).
Search for something like 3.5mm Y Splitter 2 Jack Male to 1 Female Headphone Mic Audio Adapter.

Apr 28, 2018

Ah so you can't just plug it into one port and have both work. Shame, it works with laptops but not desktops. But still, if i buy a headset with a mic and it only has one port will the audio and mic work since it doesn't with the earbuds or do I need to buy specific headsets that come with 2 jacks (audio and mic)

edit: it is apple earbuds

Apr 28, 2018

Could you plug in one earbud in the audio port and another earbud on the mic port and use that to talk into? I was planning on buying headset for my new pc but if this works then there is no need.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Nope, the mic wouldn't work, I think. You can try but I don't think the contact surfaces match for a standard mic plug. One splitter is also a lot cheaper than two earphones. :)
Another option is obviously to buy a dedicated mic, either table mounted or snap on for your headphones. Then you'd be able to get a properly amplified condenser mic to get a much clearer sound than that tinny sound you get from a mobile quality mic. USB powered mics are probably the cheapest condenser mic option. They need more power than a 3.5 mm jack can produce.

Solution