Can I backup to SD card and then delete the files from tablet and use from SD card?

martib

Estimable
Feb 28, 2017
Have discovered that I cannot save ANYTHING from my tablet to the SD card. The "save to card" is greyed out with everything. Have been told by supplier that the latest android tablets will not allow saving to card anymore. I wondered if it would be possible to backup on the card and then delete photos, videos etc from the tablet and then access them on the SD card when required? I feel ripped off that these tablets are advertised as having additional storage facility via a micro card - and then discover it doesn't work.

Someone lied to you. You can save things to the card, just not apps. Not unless your tablet is running at least Android "Marshmallow" and the option wasn't restricted by the manufacturer. That does happen.

To save photos, music, videos, etc., to the SD card you just have to go into the settings for the app you are using (say camera) and set it to save new ones (photos) to the card. The same goes for other apps you can install to view/organize your files.

Now if you want to move all those kinds of files to the card, the fastest way is actually to connect the tablet to a computer via USB cord, move the files to a folder on the computer and then copy them back over to the SD card (via the same USB connection).

Now if you are talking apps, you would need what I stated originally, plus the following instructions... If the instructions don't work for you, then the manufacturer restricted the option on your device...

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage on "Marshmallow".

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device).

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in there.
3. Now select “Format as internal”, and then “Erase & Format”.
4. Your SD Card will now be formatted as internal storage.
5. Reboot your tablet.

NOTE: If you don't reboot the tablet, many things may not work correctly, so make sure you do.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage on "Nougat".

IMPORTANT NOTE: Be sure you start with a blank SD card. When the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device), so anything on it prior would be gone.

1. Go to "Settings", and then select "Storage & USB".
2. At the bottom of the list you should see the SD card's details, including the option to format it and make it "Internal" storage.
3. Once this is done, reboot the device and you can start running things from the card.

If you don't reboot the tablet, some things may not work correctly, so make sure you do the reboot.

martib

Estimable
Feb 28, 2017

Thank you webworkings for replying so promptly. Greatly appreciated. Unfortunately the SD card doesn't respond to selection. After installing it, no method of formatting was evident. It appeared (on Tablet) in Storage displaying Total Space // Unmount SD card//Erase SD card. The latter two respond to selection but the "SD card" does not. The dots at the top display simply "USB computer connection" very pale grey and not responsive. Photos etc. have the selection "save to SD card" also pale grey and non responsive as does anything relating to the card via the tablet.

However I will try your suggestion of saving to my PC and back to the SD card and see how that goes. Thank you so much for that

martib

Estimable
Feb 28, 2017
Thanks for your help. I have been back to the retailer who phoned Levono and after tests, it turns out none of their tablets will save to an SD card even though their website demonstrates they do.
They have offered my money back but I am taking it further because the tablet advertises that it has the extra storage available via SD card.
The Retailer is still insistent that no recent tablets will not save to SD cards.
Meantime I will try your suggestion about saving via computer and see how it goes.

Wow, saying no tablets will is such a lie. However they may have set up theirs to be that way. I can't say. Even so, there would be no point. I mean why build a part in a device to add a SD card for data storage and then make it not work? Sounds off to me. I think the person was just saying what they thought would excuse it somehow.

Good Luck!

martib

Estimable
Feb 28, 2017
Well I tried your suggestion of transferring via USB from tablet to computer but the picture file showed only one picture which is a screen shot that I can't locate on the tablet at all.I then realized the pictures were automatically saving to Google Drive which I'd selected to do last week. So I turned that off - rebooted. Took more pictures. Still nothing. I give up! I will just use Google Drive. It's obviously a heap of junk. It's a Levono by the way - warning to anyone who might be considering purchasing one.
Thank you for all your help. You are really amazing.