Can I clone one HDD to another? Before I reinstall Windows 7.

Shark Dentist

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYK-C4rIxrI
Would that work?
I'm getting a new motherboard but I want to keep my HDD,I don't want to lose all my stuff when I reinstall windows 7.
Is there a way to copy everything to another HDD,reinstall windoes 7 on my main HDD and then copy all my stuff back,all data in it's rightfull place..data in right directory etc

Solution
Make a backup of your data. With a new motherboard, you'll have driver issues if you try to use an image from an old install. You need to install Windows, then install drivers and applications, then restore the data.

ss202sl

Honorable
Make a backup of your data. With a new motherboard, you'll have driver issues if you try to use an image from an old install. You need to install Windows, then install drivers and applications, then restore the data.

Solution

Shark Dentist

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014

So a clean re-install would be much better?
I'll uninstall the programs,but is there a way to safely copy my files,saves,folders to my other HDD on this PC I'm using now and then copy them back to my main HDD after I've re-installed Windows on that drive?

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
Do you have a retail version of Windows? If you have an OEM version you legally not allowed to transfer OS to a system with a new Mobo. If you have the retail you will have less problems registering Windows. Copy the files programs (data, pictures, movies music) and apps will have to be reinstalled.

Shark Dentist

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014

Yeah,my Windows 7 is retail.
Although I don't have the disc for it anymore. :(

Is not having the disc ok?
And is there a windows 7 option to restore files/folders when re-installing?

Shark Dentist

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014

I got the KeyFinder program and found out my key,then I'm going to put windows on a .iso file,then burn that .iso onto a blank disc.

ss202sl

Honorable

You probably already know, but make sure that you create a disk from image, and point to the ISO as the Image for the disk. A disk with the ISO file itself won't boot.

Shark Dentist

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014

lol Don't worry,it's legit. :)
I may have asked this before (I don't remember :| ) but
is there a windows 7 option to restore files/folders when re-installing?