Can i depend on ai suite 3 to monitor cpu temps?

Animesh Kr Saha

Estimable
May 26, 2015
Can i completely depend on asus ai suite 3 for monitoring my cpu temp at idle and under load.
My rig is:
Asus A88XM-A mobo
Amd A10 7850K apu
6 gigs of 1600 mhz ram
500 gb wd hdd
Win 8.1 pro 64-bit os
I am using the stock cpu cooler provided by amd.
So can i use ai suite 3 to monitor correct temps or any other programs.
Any help will be appreciated.
Please help. Thanks

SinxarKnights

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
I have to disagree, even though it is an official Asus tool. Mine does not show the proper CPU temp. I just tested it again to make sure it was actually broken. I ran the 7zip benchmark for a while to put some load on the CPU. The AI Suite 3 shows the CPU sitting at 35c during the benchmark and idles at 32c. I closed it all down, installed HWiNFO64 and ran the benchmark again. HWiNFO64 shows it reaching 57c and idles at 36c.

I could be wrong. The asus tool is the only program I have tried that shows the extremely low temps. Everything else reports idle as being 35c - 37c and in the 7zip benchmark - peaking at 55c - 58c.

It is possible every temp monitoring program except the Asus AI Suite 3 is wrong. I wasn't alerted that something was amiss until I ran Prime95 a while back and the CPU fan was running full bore but AI Suite 3 said it was only 40c.

ed: I just figured out why the temps are so far off in AI Suite 3. According to Asus MB users and some independent verification of their claims, it appears AI Suite 3 reads the temp off the CPU socket while most other monitors use the on-die core temp readings.

This sensor is present in programs such as HWiNFO64 and listed as "CPU". The core temps are also listed under another CPU but each core has its own temp instead of a single reading.

Animesh Kr Saha

Estimable
May 26, 2015

I am also using some other temp monitoring programs like HWINFO64 and speedfan4.49 and gameassistant 2 beta but all the programs are showing nearly equal temps. Like the temps at idle:-
Ai suite 3 : 39-41C
Speedfan 4.49 : 38-40C
HWINFO64 : 39-41C
Game assistant 2 beta : 40-42C
And i have also measured temps at load ,i mean while gaming. The temps are :-
Ai suite 3 : 51-57C
Speedfan : 50-58C
HWiNFO64 : 51-58C
Game assistant 2 beta : 40-48C but it actually shows the mobo temp 51-57C which in my case i think it should be the cpu temp.
But anyway the programs i am using are showing equal temps and i also tried to find out if my cpu is not too much hot so i touched the heatsink of the stock cooler at idle and at gaming and i felt a temperature difference while touching. So can anyone tell me that that the programs i am using are good or i need to switch to any other program.
And is there any program that is amd apu friendly and which shows the correct temp. By the way the weather reports 35C temp on my location but i don't know my room temp. So please help me guys in determining temps of my apu correctly.. Thanks a lot..

SinxarKnights

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
Yeah if it is that close then I would go with it.

I have been trying to diagnose my issue with AI Suite 3 the past few days and contacted Asus about it. So far they haven't been much help. However I have found some information that suggest it is an Intel only problem. Apparently the sensor it is reading is the correct one as specified by Intel. This explains the very rapid changes when monitoring the core temps as it is the internal core temp, the one used to control the chip itself. I've found this temp odd since I first looked at it. It can jump from 35c up to 80c and back again instantly. The problem with that is my cooler isn't that good to move that much heat without any time to dissipate it. It could be flawed logic, im not a thermodynamics expert.

As a long time AMD user this monitoring issue I am having is all new to me. None of my old AMD chips had any problems reporting the correct CPU temp. So if they are all showing the same temps, go with the one you like most. I like the AI Suite 3 for its features but it doesn't monitor temps properly for me. I also used SpeedFan a lot in the past, I like the built in tools and it will sit quietly in the tray and the system tray readout is slightly more customizable than others I have used.