can I replace the cpu and gpu in a gaming laptop?

Ian Russell

Commendable
May 4, 2016
Recently my dad gave me his old laptop and it doesn't have very good specs. I know that it is possible to add more memory and to replace the hard drive, but I was wondering if it was possible to replace the cpu and/or gpu.

Solution
Depending on the make and model you can change some CPUs and GPUs, but the problem is that most CPUs will only allow you to change with other ones of the same series, for example, you have a laptop with a socketed haswell processor, you will only be able to put in other haswell processors. Generally with the GPUs only the very high end are actually replaceable. The other problem that has to be considered is cooling

Nuckles_56

Estimable
May 25, 2014
Depending on the make and model you can change some CPUs and GPUs, but the problem is that most CPUs will only allow you to change with other ones of the same series, for example, you have a laptop with a socketed haswell processor, you will only be able to put in other haswell processors. Generally with the GPUs only the very high end are actually replaceable. The other problem that has to be considered is cooling

Solution