Can I replace/upgrade my malfuncioning laptop graphics card?

Dean Chelios

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013
My laptop is a sony vaio vpc-ee4e1e. My graphics cards is problematic.
Prossesor: AMD Athlon™ Dual-Core II P360
Graphics card: ATI Mobility™ Radeon® HD 4250
My question is if I buy another GC solely (if upgrade is not an option, the same model at worst) without buying a new laptop. Do you recommend any sites?

Solution
The graphics card on a laptop like that one is integrated into the motherboard. IT can't be replaced, short of replacing the whole motherboard.

What problems are you having that you believe are caused by the video chip?

SchizTech

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
The graphics card on a laptop like that one is integrated into the motherboard. IT can't be replaced, short of replacing the whole motherboard.

What problems are you having that you believe are caused by the video chip?

Solution

Dean Chelios

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013

The screen shuts down at random, while the pc is running normaly. I have to "play" a bit with it so I can bring the screen back. At first I thought it maybe was the connection of the screen with the rest of the body, but I noticed that at random moments again the colors are blurring at some redish black striped way. At time I connect the laptop to my tv cause it gets annoying. On the tv I experience no problems.

SchizTech

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
That could be a problem with the LCD cable or the LCD itself. It'd be hard to tell which for certain without testing with different parts though. You might have to take it to a repair shop where they could open the screen and check the cable and LCD, since it's not something that's easy to do at home (without spending a bit on those parts in the dark anyway)

Dean Chelios

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013

I only use my laptop connected to the TV. The laptop screen is partly dead. It only works until the windows log in. Then it stop at will. It is trolling me.