Can I split hdmi out from cable box to 3 existing coax cables in my house, and back to hdmi?

Chazz2z

Commendable
Oct 16, 2016
I'd like to use the three existing coax cables in my house to carry the same signal from my cable box to all tvs. I know how to do this with a simple splitter if bypassing hd quality. But, is there a converter/splitter/adaptor that allows an hdmi cord out from the cable box to connect to multiple coax cords running thru the house and back to hdmi signal or cord so I can display the picture and sound from my one cable box to any of the tvs I wish to turn on?

Solution
Get a Roku or similar media player for the other two TVs, watch actual TV on the one with the cable box. Between many cable companies having online apps for TV watching, Hulu, the actual channels having streaming, you won't be missing much. My cable company has an app I can run on my tablet/phone and can watch live TV from there.

Chazz2z

Commendable
Oct 16, 2016

Thanks. That is a little pricey seeing how I'd need to buy two sets to get to two other rooms. The point of doing this is to avoid having to rent another cable box for rooms where tv isn't watched is often. I think I'd also need an HDMI splitter to connect the box from one tv directly, and then a splitter to connect to these boxes. Also, I didn't consider the remote signal to be able to change the channels from the other rooms using the one cable box. Would I also need an RF transmitter to hook up to the main tv and then to the other tvs? If so, shopping list looks like this: 2 sets of HDMI converter signal boxes, splitter, RF transmitter adaptor. Might get expensive though.

Ethanh100

Estimable
Jun 10, 2014
Yes you wold need some sort of RF transmitters, but some of these HDMI over coax sets have built in RF transmission, so search HDMI over coax on amazon and look at the different models, and see if some come with RF transmission built in.

Chazz2z

Commendable
Oct 16, 2016

I have one of the wireless hdmi sets. Its spotty at times needing to be reset on occasion, but for the most part it works. The set includes an RF piece for the remote to work, but the problem I have is that only solves two tvs in the house, not three. So I'm stuck trying to figure out how to get a third (and possibly 4th) tv cable channels without having to rent the additional boxes.

Get a Roku or similar media player for the other two TVs, watch actual TV on the one with the cable box. Between many cable companies having online apps for TV watching, Hulu, the actual channels having streaming, you won't be missing much. My cable company has an app I can run on my tablet/phone and can watch live TV from there.

Solution
Sep 6, 2018
It sounds to me like you are on the Comcast system and you are referring to the DVR box which has the one coax connection on the back along with the one HDMI connection. If you want to branch past the one TV you cannot use the coax because the quality of signal is pitiful. And the other situation with Comcast boxes is if you try to use a standard HDMI splitter or switch they will shut down the output signal to all the TVs. In the Comcast world you have to use a "bi-directional switch". Such as {Sewell IBIS 4K HDMI Switch Box, 2x1, White, 4K 60 Hz, HDCP Pass-Through (HDCP 2.2 Support), 2x1 or 1x2 HDMI Bi-Directional Switch } this will work and give a great signal. I know because I am using it. Place this coming off the box and you can toggle between TVs on one box.