Can I use old pioneer sx 838 as preamp and power rear speakers and old marantz 140 to power fronts?

Solution
What are you feeding as input? Assuming you have RCA line level connectivity then you should be able to select some input (tape, CD, etc) that can accept the signal. Obviously any surround sound decoding has to be done prior to these two units.

kanewolf

Judicious
What are you feeding as input? Assuming you have RCA line level connectivity then you should be able to select some input (tape, CD, etc) that can accept the signal. Obviously any surround sound decoding has to be done prior to these two units.

Solution

Resounding

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015

Resounding

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015
Not worried about surround, I just wanted the 70wpc from the Marantz to feed the Klipsch Belles (front), and the 50wpc from the pioneer to feed the Heresys (rear). I have been told that if I use the pre-outs from the Pioneer to the Marantz I will bypass the Pioneers amp.

kanewolf

Judicious

If you feed a stereo signal into the Pioneer, then you could daisy chain the Marantz by tying the pre-out from the Pioneer to an input on the Marantz. That should have the Pioneer doing all the volume control.

Resounding

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015

Resounding

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015
@'s cool because the Marantz is just an amplifier, heck, not even a power switch, just left and right attenuators. I just want to make sure the power from the Pioneer is not bypassed, so I will have the full power capability from both pieces.