Can power damage to the motherboard destroy laptop speakers

dragonbayn

Estimable
Aug 30, 2015
I have been working on a Lenovo P500 that was damaged due to faulty house wiring. After determining there was power failure in the motherboard I replaced it. When turning on the computer the drives worked and the back light on the keyboard worked, but nothing happened on the LCD display. I tried an external display with no luck either. Researching this issue I found that this PC has the video integrated on the CPU. After replacing the CPU the only remaining problem is that the speakers are barely audible. They are properly connected and have the latest drivers. The setup tests work but the sound is very quiet, even with the volume at 100%. My question is since the speakers are plugged directly into the motherboard, could an issue that damaged it and the CPU also damage the speakers? I can get replacements fairly cheap, but don't want to throw more money into this if that kind of damage is unlikely. Thanks.

Solution
I've never seen a laptop with "powered" speakers, as in, having their own amplification, but all speakers are "powered", in a sense. If there was an electrical fault that caused damage, then any component or device that was connected to the motherboard could potentially have been damaged. I'd certainly want to double check that the speaker connections were remade properly when the unit was disassembled though. Considering it would require tearing it down again, I'd probably just get the replacement speakers anyhow so they can be changed at the same time if they are in fact faulty.
I've never seen a laptop with "powered" speakers, as in, having their own amplification, but all speakers are "powered", in a sense. If there was an electrical fault that caused damage, then any component or device that was connected to the motherboard could potentially have been damaged. I'd certainly want to double check that the speaker connections were remade properly when the unit was disassembled though. Considering it would require tearing it down again, I'd probably just get the replacement speakers anyhow so they can be changed at the same time if they are in fact faulty.

Solution