Can some 1 explain to me why my VIZIO

maciek_02

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
HI i have a question. I bought a vizio 26inch 720p.
i hooked up my ps3 to it and i noticed that when i turn on my ps3 it says HDMI 1080p HD
i was wondering how is that possible?

Solution
The set is down-converting your 1080 sources to a raster it can understand. Basically, it's clever enough to keep from freaking out when you plug a source into it that it wasn't rated for. It is doubtful your tv has a pixel count high enough to meet the spec for 1080p, and to be friendly with your gear it will still handshake.

No biggee. You could have a Philips that crashes and locks up when it gets an HDMI source it doesn't like. Take it and run with it.

maciek_02

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
I dont know cause when i played a blue-ray movie it says 1080p hd
and when i play a game on the ps3 it tells me the game is running in 720p hd just like it says on the box of the game video support up to 720p hd so im stumped as to whats going on

mrtired

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
The set is down-converting your 1080 sources to a raster it can understand. Basically, it's clever enough to keep from freaking out when you plug a source into it that it wasn't rated for. It is doubtful your tv has a pixel count high enough to meet the spec for 1080p, and to be friendly with your gear it will still handshake.

No biggee. You could have a Philips that crashes and locks up when it gets an HDMI source it doesn't like. Take it and run with it.

Solution

maciek_02

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009

Thank you for the info. i was just wondering why it did that, and i am VERY HAPPY with the tv i was shooting for a 720p and the tv i got for the price of $300 at Wallmart ;) i just coulden't believe at the beginning that i got a better tv by mistake LOL the games and the movies look amazing.