Solved! Can you install HP wireless printer without using HP Smart?

Status
Not open for further replies.

itm

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004
Does anyone know how/if it's possible to install an HP 6000 series all-in-1 printer on Windows 10 without needing to install HP bloatware? The HP site offers download links to the HP Smart app but not a simple driver which is what I was looking for.

Solution
Not really--depends on the printer. My machine is a Brother all-in-one. I had issues with double-sided printing and the scanner wouldn't work via my laptop (but I just used a memory stick and scanned into that at the machine--just a quick really). I also didn't get updates on ink volume at my laptop. Try it and see. The driver is easily removed. Just go to device and printer and your laptop should scan the network, find the printer and suggest a driver to install. Make sure your printer is talking to the wireless first.

itm

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004
I assume you have tried the Windows suggested driver when you try to install the printer via Windows. My experience was that significant functionality was lost this way but the functionality might satisfy you.
No I haven't tried that yet. Can you give me an idea of what sort of functionality would be lost?

Not really--depends on the printer. My machine is a Brother all-in-one. I had issues with double-sided printing and the scanner wouldn't work via my laptop (but I just used a memory stick and scanned into that at the machine--just a quick really). I also didn't get updates on ink volume at my laptop. Try it and see. The driver is easily removed. Just go to device and printer and your laptop should scan the network, find the printer and suggest a driver to install. Make sure your printer is talking to the wireless first.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.