Canada Resorts to Net ''Throttling'' as Last Resort

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shnur

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
Alright, now all the "unlimited" ISP's for 30$ are going down... yay!
That, in my opinion is just plain dumb, I've actually stopped pirating stuff a year or two ago, since it was simpler to buy the product (music/movie/games) online rather than trying to get it from a torrent site. So basically by putting "brakes" to the file sharing is actually (in my case) going to hurt the economy for digital distribution that I find so convenient.
I recently bought all the Half-Life 2's and Far Cry 2 because of a good deal on Steam... all together that's probably over 30-40gbs of pure download... LEGALLY. Again I think all this "anti-piracy" move is hurting more the real customers rather than the pirates. I see a point though, I'll spend less money all together on entertainment and go finish modding my car for drifting this winter :)

cheepstuff

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
if there isn't enough internet for everybody the this is what will have to happen. hopefully it doesn't come come down to more extreme tactics to limit the flow of internet.

outacontrolpimp

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
i say boycott, i dont want our greedy isp's getting any ideas here in america. i know its already been a idea here, i just dont want it to be a "well everybody else is doing it"

Snuffles

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
[citation][nom]MoUsE-WiZ[/nom]Curse our absurdly low population density![/citation]

Yeah but, think how it would be the other way around.

coolronz

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2008
I've actually bought alot of things online now.. And I almost always pay overages now.. hmmm We have alot of good things here in Canada, but alot of silly things too.. LOL O well still beats the heck out of dial up... :) And the ISP provide alot of revenue for the government as a whole, so why wouldnt they side with the ISPs, just like the oil companies..? We're not gonna stop driving our cars, nor are we gonna stop having high speed internet. So why wouldnt the government want to get on that bandwagon too..? Just makes good tax based sense. Why not just stick it to the people..? AGAIN!!! and as far a few ruining it for the rest of us.. they are just trying to turn us against ourselves... smart business sense... keep that finger pointed away from where the real problem lies. TAX BASE.... the more these greedy companies make the larger the tax base, its just that simple...

cabose369

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
This is absolute bs. Bell and Rogers are already charging out the ass for internet. The speed is $h!t, they THROTTLE ALREADY ALL THE F***ING TIME (ex. Rogers and Bell Torrent throttle during the day, usually between 8am-8pm)!!! They now cap you at an absurd 90GB (let's be honest, if you stream movies using Netflix on BluRay that's 3 movies per month and you are at your bandwidth cap. Not to mention downloading music as well.). The CRTC are a bunch of idiots who are hell bent on screwing the consumer because they can control everything (ex. TV, Radio, Internet, etc.)!

If the bandwidth hogging is so bad I have 2 questions...

1) How were we able to do it last year when there was no cap and no one said $h!t all about it?

2) If it is getting so bad why not upgrade everyone to FIOS instead of stupid Cable and DSL which will allows higher bandwidth? Why not improve the methods of delivering the internet to the consumer to be more efficient so that signal is not lost as you are further away from the switching station (as happens frequently with Bell)?

Screw the CRTC and screw Throttling and Bandwidth Caps!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.