Cannot boot into an MBR flash drive

shandilyavinay0

Prominent
Nov 4, 2017
When I was trying to reinstall windows by using a bootable flash drive which uses MBR partition, it just doesnt appear in the boot selection menu.I have tried GPT also but the problem is that GPT appears and the setup starts but my drive is MBR so it doesn't install , and I don't want to format my drive.So I thought I will back up the data but after closing the setup windows has created a bootloop and is not starting.So is there any way to boot into an MBR flash drive.

Solution
The bootable USB flash drive has to be formatted FAT32. If you allow the Media Creation Tool to create a Windows 10 flash drive for you, it is FAT32.

It appears you have an MBR partitioned drive and want to install windows on the drive keeping that format style. If you set the mainboard BIOS to legacy or compatibility (CSM) mode I understand that windows install will use an MBR partition style. But all data will be lost. Since you have backed up the data,why not use UEFI ?

karenjoly

Great
Apr 13, 2018
The bootable USB flash drive has to be formatted FAT32. If you allow the Media Creation Tool to create a Windows 10 flash drive for you, it is FAT32.

It appears you have an MBR partitioned drive and want to install windows on the drive keeping that format style. If you set the mainboard BIOS to legacy or compatibility (CSM) mode I understand that windows install will use an MBR partition style. But all data will be lost. Since you have backed up the data,why not use UEFI ?

Solution

shandilyavinay0

Prominent
Nov 4, 2017
No I was trying to backup the files after seeing in the windows setup that drives are MBR but when I tried to boot normally it wasn't starting and windows logo was looping again and again.So I was not able to back up the files