Canon 450D 50mm Exposure

Wayfall

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
Hi

I have been doing photography as a hobby for a long while now and I have been quite successful with my landscape and nature photos.

I have been trying to have a stab at evening and dark night photos when I can but i have come across something that I would like to ask you lot about.

When I try and take photos in a kind of dark room (restaurant, bar or pub with friends) and when I look at the exposure bar in my viewfinder or the screen it will show as correctly exposured after i have fiddled with the shutter and aperture that I wanted then when I take the photo the image looks like it was taken at midday. I have to put the aperture hole two stops or more smaller to get the correct lighting in my photo. On screen it show exposure as -2 but the picture looks correctly lit.

What is going on and how do I go about resolving it?

Solution

Experiment! Aperture priority, wide open if the depth of field allows it, a few stops closed if it doesn't, limit iso to maybe 800 to control noise.

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
check what exposure settings you have, like centre weighted, spot etc. it'll be in the menus somewhere, it might be looking a a particularly dark spot and then overexposing the rest of the not so dark image, on a landscape it's not so important, on a scene with many varied lighting settings it can lead to odd results.

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006

Experiment! Aperture priority, wide open if the depth of field allows it, a few stops closed if it doesn't, limit iso to maybe 800 to control noise.

Solution

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006

Also try the different metering methods in the menu, just set up a similar environment and test it.