Canon Rebel EOS XT not opening in windows 8

goodstew

Estimable
Jan 3, 2015
I have an older Canon Rebel EOS XT. I have the software. I have a ubs cable. But the software doesn't seem to load properly and I can't get any of the images to download from the camera to the computer. I am working with a new Acer desktop and Windows 8.
Is there any hope . . ?

goodstew

Estimable
Jan 3, 2015
I am a little behind the curve on this stuff, but there is a problem with the card. The pins in the camera were damaged and the card inserted with some difficulty. Taking it out at all would be a gamble but even still it is not the type of card that is used much today. I don't think that would work. I don't think it would fit in the computer anyway . . .

goodstew

Estimable
Jan 3, 2015
Thank you. I'm still interested in knowing why the camera will not download images to my computer. I have the UBS cord connected to the camera and the computer but I can't get anything to pass between them. The computer does make that 'Oh I recognize something has been connected' sound, but that's all. Is this camera too old and the computer too new . . .?

goodstew

Estimable
Jan 3, 2015
Yes I understand what you are saying, to take the card out of the camera and put it in the computer, but the card will not fit in the computer because it is a different configuration.
What I would like to know is if anyone can help me download pictures to the computer via the USB cable

goodstew

Estimable
Jan 3, 2015
I checked out the link, thank you. I will look into those options. Do you have any idea if there is any way I can download the pictures on my camera to the computer via the USB cable.

goodstew

Estimable
Jan 3, 2015
are you saying . . . you know windows 8 and the older canon rebel xt's and that "there is no inherent reason" why they should not work together.
If you know they DO work together could you suggest what I might try to get mine to work together . . .?

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
No I can't suggest anything beyond what you have tried, it should just work, the issue that you described earlier: "but there is a problem with the card. The pins in the camera were damaged and the card inserted with some difficulty" is the likely cause of your problem. It should act as a rather poor card reader, I never use mine as a reader simply because they are so very slow.

goodstew

Estimable
Jan 3, 2015
thing is I know the camera works. I know the camera loads to the card. I know the card can be read by other computers because I did all this on my older computer. It would download fine to my older computer. But I see postings of other people who say they have trouble getting newer versions of windows to recognize older cameras.
That is my question.
I want to use the USB cable to download to the computer and I'm interested in finding out if anyone knows about
Windows 8 and the Rebel XT. I think the problem is that Windows might not recognize the older drivers.