Can't change Asus BOOT order

Status
Not open for further replies.

seblake

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
My friend asked me to clean his ASUS TouchScreen computer. It is an APTIO SETUP UTILITY for a 2012 American Megatrends BIOS. I have tried multiple times to set the BOOT option to boot from the USB. F10 to Save and Exit. It boots from the SATA, not the USB. Please HELP. Thanks!

Solution
I just completed a CHAT session with ASUS. It worked!! Here is what they told me:

1. Enter the BIOS setup menu by pressing and holding F2 key when powering on.
2. Switch to “Boot” and set “Launch CSM” to Enabled.
3. Switch to “Security” and set “Secure Boot Control” to Disabled.
4. Press F10 to save and exit.
5. Press and hold ESC key to launch boot menu when the Unit restarts.

Thank you for your time and suggestions!

seblake

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Alexoiu,

Thanks for the thought! I am using a Kaspersky Rescue USB (or CD). I just used them two days ago. The DVD drive isn't even listed as a boot device! All devices in the Device Manager are good.

This is one of the biggest problems I have run into in a long time...

Do appreciate all responses/thoughts!

seblake

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Thanks for your response!

I have no problem accessing the BIOS. I am using F2 and it works fine. I can even access the BIOS through the new Windows 8 process (more complex than necessary).

The problem is: the computer will not recognize the bootable USB or the bootable CD. I have changed the option in the BIOS to boot from the USB port, but it doesn't. There is no option to allow me to boot from the CD. I have no idea why not. Not sure if this is an ASUS hardware problem or a BIOS problem. As I mentioned, the USB thumb drive and the CD worked on another computer. Just not this ASUS: MB Ver Q500A-BHI7T05; Check #8147.

I have no idea what to try next...

seblake

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
I just completed a CHAT session with ASUS. It worked!! Here is what they told me:

1. Enter the BIOS setup menu by pressing and holding F2 key when powering on.

Thank you for your time and suggestions!

Solution

Trueskye

Estimable
May 12, 2015

Trueskye

Estimable
May 12, 2015
Found it here... in case you haven't yet... http://bitprison.net/UEFI-BIOS-Windows-7-install#comment-53519

Submitted by Jozsef on February 24, 2013 - 11:53pm
New ASUS K55 Laptop with UEFI Bios
I have a client who bought an ASUS K55VD laptop. This laptop is coming with Windows 8. But my client had bought a windows 7. So He wanted to use this windows 7 on his new laptop. I had another task. I had to change the HDD to SSD. It sounds easy, doesn't it?

Problems was coming...
I have never seen UEFI BIOS before. I did not think this will be a challenge for me. I tell the truth I wasted a lot of time to install the OS.

Firstly I can not boot any CD under UEFI BIOS. I solve this problem by turning off Security Boot in BIOS Security section.

Secondly the Windows 7 DVD froze during boot under UEFI BIOS. It was a nightmare. Windows 7 installer initializing stopped with a black screen and a white "Loading" text.

I could not start the installer. So I started to play with BIOS. After some hour and some thousand failed booting I found an option. This option is the key to install any Operation System in your laptop with UEFI BIOS. You have to Enable the "Launch CSM" option in Boot section of Bios. CSM means the Compatibility Support Module. Without this you can boot only UEFI mode. Windows 8 in UEFI mode receive serial key from BIOS. Windows 7 in UEFI mode can not boot in my case.

Conclusion
If you want to install any new OS to your PC or Laptop with UEFI Bios just turn off Security Boot and turn on Launch CSM option. Try these options if your OS installer does not boot. This method also works with Windows XP CD and Linux CD/USB Flash.

- See more at: http://bitprison.net/UEFI-BIOS-Windows-7-install#comment-53519

judgefloyd

Commendable
May 2, 2016
Hi, I have similar problems. My netbook has Aptio 2015. I did as advised above: 1. Enter the BIOS setup menu by pressing and holding F2 key when powering on.

Now I just get a screen saying "Please select boot device:
Windows Boot Manager
TSSTcorppCDDVDW SE-208DB TSO1`
Enter Setup

Windows boot manager takes me to Windows - this I do not want, as I'm trying to install another o/s
TSSTcorppCDDVDW SE-208DB TSO1 just gives me 'Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key' - nothing happens except more of this until I reboot
Enter Setup takes me back to the Aptio Setup Utility

can anyone help?

Never mind

Rajesh_37

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016

Thanks buddy it works fine for me...

BushMann

Commendable
Sep 30, 2016

Thanks all.

"Launch CSM" is greyed-out, it seems by default.
The only way I could get it enabled was to first Disable Secure Boot Control.

Therefore, the correct order is:

1. Enter the BIOS setup menu by pressing and holding the F2 key, when powering on.
2. Switch to “Security” and set “Secure Boot Control” to Disabled.
3. Switch to “Boot” and set “Launch CSM” to Enabled.

To boot from the DVD, press and hold the ESC key and the boot menu will appear.

Thanks y'all!

Bushmannz

simtech

Prominent
Sep 11, 2017

You are a star, you saved my day thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.