Cant connect to US Netflix using a DNS

Takka_Tikka

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
Hello. Whenever i try to connect to the american netflix using a DNS, netflix will just load for 4 minutes and then say "cant connect you to netflix, try again or visit netflix.com/tvhelp" I tried doing the things there but nothing worked. I am from Denmark and the danish netflix works fine without using a DNS. Thanks.

Takka_Tikka

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
I mean that on my Samsung SMART TV 9000 UHD i go to settings and change the dns to an american one. I have also tried this on another samsung tv and has not helped there either. This is confirmed working at my uncles place, and at my cousins. It also used to work at me but it stopped working.

Takka_Tikka

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
Yes i can connect to netflix. Without using a VPN such as zenmate, the danish netflix will come up and work fine. When i try to use an american IP in zenmate i can watch and all but there is only Portuguese and Spanish subtitles. So when i use a british IP it also works fine and there is english subtitles. So yes, i can watch from a computer.

So.. As you cannot install VPN on your TV (yet...), you can try to share your PC' VPN connection, and route your TV' internet (with static IP settings) through that connection. It's obvious NetFlix are using IP addresses in order to determine what to show and what not.

manofchalk

Honorable
May 11, 2012
I wouldn't call this circumventing copyright, but regional restrictions. Publishers basically have to pay fee's to have their show available in countries and regions, and many American production networks dont bother doing so outside North America where all their viewerbase (that they know of) is. Its not that uncommon to have shows unavailable in Canadian Netflix, yet on American just fine.
VPN'ing so you can watch American Netflix is better than the next easiest alternative, which is just too pirate the show in question. I'l allow this.

Ijack

Distinguished
Well, it's up to a copyright owner to decide in which regions they will licence a third party to distribute their copyright material. If they haven't granted a licence for material to be broadcast in Canada (for example) then it is a clear breach of copyright legislation to circumvent that by the use of technology (or any other means). So to spoof your IP address to obtain access to material that has not been licenced in your country is clearly (IMO) a breach not just of a licence but of copyright. It's up to the copyright owner to determine what restrictions they wish to place on the availability of their property.

Still, you're the boss so if you want to allow discussion of what - to me - is clearly an illegal practice then so be it. Saying that the only alternative is to pirate the material in a different way doesn't cut it for me.

manofchalk

Honorable
May 11, 2012
IMO, its the far lesser of two evils (which depending where you live, not even an evil).
You can fake being American, pay for the service and use it. Or just pirate the show outright, where the producer isn't getting any kind of pay for it.

It also depends on your local law, anyone doing this lives outside the US so its laws wont apply (though Hollywood has a history of forcefully applying them in other countries).
For instance in Australia (where I live), it is legal to do this as its protected under parallel import laws. Basically its the same deal but with physical media and goods. If the goods are region restricted to the US through the primary distributor, it is still legal for it to be sent to Australia via a 3rd party (Courier service, friends, your VPN provider, etc).

Ijack

Distinguished
Bear in mind that Denmark is in the EU and EU copyright law can be more restrictive than US or Australian law, particularly when it comes to bypassing access controls.

Note that this is not a question of the legality of bypassing controls as such but the provision of the means to do so. It could be argued that providing information as to how the controls can be bypassed could be construed as an offence.