Can't hook up old HTS to newer TV to allow for Sky/Cable and Xbox, etc?

wrayca

Prominent
Mar 16, 2017
Hey, so this is my first time here. Hoping I can get some help and help some folks in return.

I'm having real trouble connecting an old HTS that I had given to me recently to my 4k TV. The HTS in question is a Philips HTS3500S with no HDMI capability, nor digital optical (it has digital coaxial).

The TV is a LG49UF640V. It has optical digital output, but doesn't have coaxial. I've considered just ordering a converter for this issue, but not sure if it will solve all my problems.

In an ideal world, I'd like to be able to run the sound from my HDMI inputs on the TV to the surround sound on the HTS.

Any help at all is much appreciated. I can post pictures of the ports, if that would be useful to anyone.

Thanks guys!

A coaxial to optical digital converter should work fine.
You can use an HDMI ARC audio extractor like this one
https://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Extractor-Support-Converter-VHD-H2HARC/dp/B00LKF6CPG
If you connect it to the HDMI-ARC input on the TV.
You would still need to connect the HTS to the TV for it's own video output so it's not going to convert your old HTS to HDMI. No advantage over the converter and you lose an HDMI input.

Solution

wrayca

Prominent
Mar 16, 2017

Thanks very much - took your advice and went with the converter, it now works a treat!