Solved! Can't install graphics-card driver -> system freeze

Klautsche

Prominent
Feb 9, 2017
Hi, so I came here with a rather complicated problem and I dont know if anyone has any good advice or help:
So I wanted to reinstall my graphics card driver (cause of the message that my hardware settings have changed) but in order to do so I wanted to uninstall my old one first. Stupid as I am I couldnt find any AMD installed file so I accidentally uninstalled my graphics card in the device manager, which led to my Laptop not knowing i had a graphics card and the AMD autodetect utility to not find any graphics card. So I manually installed the latest driver which didnt work cause during the installation my system froze and I couldnt do or move anything. So I restarted in safe mode, uninstalled it and tried several other drivers, but my system always froze during or right after the installation and a restart just caused my desktop to freeze right after startup. Then I googled and tried to install several cleaners (CCleaner and other driver uninstallers/cleaners) and reinstalled a driver. It froze again but now Im at a point where my system randomly freezes sometimes, usually after some time of inactivity, but very random and I dont now why. I'm afraid to (re)install a new driver because now at least it doesnt freeze right after startup. The autodetect tool from AMD still doesnt find any hardware but in device manager it at least says my graphics card is there (which after uninstalling the driver it didn't). I dont like those freezes and I dont know what to do and why my Laptop doesnt detect the graphics card. Please help
Oh and also some videos don't play with the error message that atiumdva.dll is faulty or something (I did do a virus check, its not a virus cause my problems all started when I uninstalled the graphics card)

I have a AMD Radeon HD 7970M

Update: fixed -> see my last reply

Solution
ok go to guru3d.com and download their display driver uninstaller. You will see it on the right hand side of page under new downloads. Use that. Take a deep breath and exhale. Restart your computer and you should be using only vga display drivers now i.e. screen will be big on 640x mode etc. Go to amd.com and download the newest drivers for your card. Install them, restart your computer and you should be good to go.

Klautsche

Prominent
Feb 9, 2017
So if anyone cares, I installed an old Catalyst driver (15.7.1) and disabled Windows Update which was the reason the system froze (cause the automatic update wanted to install the newest driver)
EDIT2: It froze again at reboot so Im back to square one.... HELP

shknawe

Commendable
Oct 22, 2016
ok go to guru3d.com and download their display driver uninstaller. You will see it on the right hand side of page under new downloads. Use that. Take a deep breath and exhale. Restart your computer and you should be using only vga display drivers now i.e. screen will be big on 640x mode etc. Go to amd.com and download the newest drivers for your card. Install them, restart your computer and you should be good to go.

Solution

Klautsche

Prominent
Feb 9, 2017
any recommendations? cause the only driver that works is AMD 15.12 which is over 2 years old and is not optimized for new games. I just wanna be able to install a new driver again (and eventually activate windows updates again) without windows freezing... (and no, I dont wanna reinstall windows)

UPDATE: Installing the older AMD 16.5.3 driver and via the settings from this one installing the newest driver finally worked and fixed everything!