Can't install Windows 10 to MSI X370 MB, screen freezes at the Windows logo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pvgoplayer

Prominent
Mar 27, 2017
I just built a new PC using the MSI XPower X370 Titanium MB. Using both a purchased USB stick with Windows 10, and an USB created using the MS MediaCreationTool, the PC boot up and display the Windows logo, and then freezes. The BIOS menu shows the USB stick correctly yet installation does not proceed. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Solution
Hi pvgoplayer

Did you install windows through an internal or external DVD unit?

I have the same problem than you, I have to buy a DVD unit and I prefer an external one, but since it goes through an USB port I am afraid I might have the same problem

SinxarKnights

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
Try using a usb 2.0 port. For your motherboard, these would be on the front of the case assuming you have them hooked up. My brother had issue with using a USB 3 drive on his laptop, had to dig out an old USB 2 stick to install. No idea why it caused issue but it is something to try.

pvgoplayer

Prominent
Mar 27, 2017

Thanks for the suggestion. I put the purchased USB into the USB 2 port in the front of PC, and I was asked "64 vs 32 bit install?". I chose 64 bit and now the screen freezes with the MSI Motherboard launch screen.

pvgoplayer

Prominent
Mar 27, 2017

Thanks for helping. What do you mean rufus? Do you think I should use DVD instead of USB flash as the install media?

Paul NZ

Admirable
This http://rufus.akeo.ie/

If the bios has a UEFI BIOS, select GPT add ISO start. If it doesnt select MBR partitition

Then reboot change the bootdisk to the flash drive boot from it. get to setup delete all partitions reinstall windows

Enable AHCI, secureboot and UEFI (if it supports it) before you install windows. And if youre installing 64 bit

pvgoplayer

Prominent
Mar 27, 2017
Thanks for all your help. You are all very kind. It turned out I had a defective RAM module from G.Skill (8GB 3200). After I removed this RAM, I was able to install from DVD. Also, MSI does not allow USB installation due to chipset limitation (according to manual). Also I found out I need to set the BIOS in advanced mode, not EZ mode. Anyway, I did install Windows 10.

Ojupaligru

Prominent
Apr 1, 2017
Hi pvgoplayer

Did you install windows through an internal or external DVD unit?

I have the same problem than you, I have to buy a DVD unit and I prefer an external one, but since it goes through an USB port I am afraid I might have the same problem

Solution

pvgoplayer

Prominent
Mar 27, 2017
My MSI motherboard does not support Windows installation through USB devices, including USB flash, USB DVD, USB HDD etc. I ended up getting a DVD to install Windows through the internal DVD drive. Also, one of my RAM module was defective. Once I remove it, I was able to install using my DVD drive.

Ben_188

Prominent
Mar 13, 2017

I am having the same problem as you using a MSI x370 gaming pro carbon motherboard. I checked to make sure the ram worked and it does (I even tried running it with 1 ram stick in at a time) but I still get the same problem. Could you specify what else you did, the exact motherboard you used or any other details? That might help me out

Dexxadude

Prominent
Apr 7, 2017

I'm having the exact same issue myself this morning trying to install windows on my msi pro carbon. Ill be trying everything myself so if I find the issue ill keep you posted if you do, id appreciated the info :)

Thanks

Ben_188

Prominent
Mar 13, 2017

Here is some more info:
Ram- 2X16 GB G.Skill 3200 TridentZ (currently trying one at a time)
Motherboard- X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (using bios 1.2, have tried the other 2 older bios versions)
CPU- Ryzen 1700
Graphics card: GTX 1080, have tried a GTX 760 and an old AMD card as well

I also tried installing Ubuntu but it also got stuck so this isn't a windows only issue

Could you share your setup as well (particularly the ram) I have a feeling that it might be that some RAMs aren't compatible with the board on the given bios or something. looking online I found that this sort of thing is generally a RAM issue though in my case memtest86 says the RAM has no errors and i have tried things one stick at a time.

This is the exact ram i used: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232415

pvgoplayer

Prominent
Mar 27, 2017
As stated in my original post, I am using MSI XPower X370 Titanium MB. Can't use USB flash. Use DVD. Make sure your DVD drive is recognized in the BIOS, as well as all your devices, CPU, RAM etc.

Ben_188

Prominent
Mar 13, 2017

Everything is recognized in the BIOS, I am using a DVD now as well but the results haven't changed and windows still gets stuck at startup

I tried a bunch of Linux distros as well but they didn't work for the most part either. One did end up working (TinyCorePlus) but that's about it. That just makes it more confusing for me, thought I might just have a bad motherboard but if one of them works it might not be the case.

Dexxadude

Prominent
Apr 7, 2017

I'm unsing:

CPU: 1800x
Board: Msi x370 Gaming pro carbon
Ram: Corsair LPX 16GB (8gbx2) 3200mhz
GPU 2x RX480.

I have RMA's the board as I think its just faulty, Ive tried every possible way. CD Disk Drive, USB, Switching the ram(1 stick and switching them individually. tried all sorts of BIOS options, UEFI installation makes no difference to using Legecy ive used the Media creation tool and ive also used the ISO with rufus putting it at MPA and GPA(I believe) and nothing at all even used every BIOS, including 1.2, Nothing. I'm at a dead end so I phoned the store and RMA'd it for a new 1. :x have you had any lucky yet?

pvgoplayer

Prominent
Mar 27, 2017
My problem was resolved a while ago. Let me summarize what I know, instead of asking you to go through this entire thread.
My problem was one faulty G.Skill Ripjaws V RAM module. I had since replace my RAM with G.Skill Flare X. My RAM is good now.
Also, I found out MSI MB does not support USB install, but rather DVD install of Windows 10.
Furthermore, I chose G.Skill Flare X because their website specifically stated Flare X is great for Ryzen.
I know others have successfully used G.Skill Trident Z for their Ryzen build however. Good luck!

FsMz Cypher

Prominent
Apr 25, 2017
i have just installed windows 10 64bit on 2 msi boards ( one gaming pro carbon x370 and one titanium ) .... the titanium is running sweet with the 1700x Ryzen but im getting intermittent freezing on the pro carbon also running a 1700x.... flashed bios...checked ram... registry...now trying board update drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.