Bortmon

Estimable
Aug 13, 2015
I have been having some shut down and restart problems lately which include my laptop not completely shutting down (I changed the power settings already) and also when I press restart my laptop just shuts down abrubtly and refuses the start the computer after that. So I was wondering if I could fix it by searching on Google for fix. I read something about my integrated graphics driver being used instead of my nvidia GPU. Now I tried updating my drivers but that didn't seem to work, so I went into the NVIDIA control panel and I tried to change my default PhysX processor since I only have 3 options in my control panel. But it wouldn't let me switch between graphic cards, it just kept on using the integrated graphics driver. In another article on internet I read that you could change your graphic card in the BIOS. But I couldn't find an option to change it.

Could anyone help me out?

I have:
Intel® HD Graphics 4000
Nvidia GT 650M 2GB

Greetings Bortmon:

I'm not sure if this will solve your problem, but if you wish to change the graphics cards in the BIOS menu, here's how to:

a) Older BIOS menus, like my Lenovo Thinkstation, have a Devices tab where you can set a GPU sequence (under 'Video settings' I think), but you will need to know the exact PCI code. Proceed with caution!

b) Newer BIOS menus, like my Lenovo laptop, have the same Devices tab and now feature a 'Switchable' setting that allows the system to choose for itself when to go with either GPU. You can also choose to use only the Intel card, but not the nVidia card on its own.

This, of course, may be very different on your machine, and your original problem may be down to something else entirely.

Best of luck,
GreyCatz.

Bortmon

Estimable
Aug 13, 2015

I think the name and version of my BIOS is Aptio Setup Utility 214. Do you have any experience with this version?

Hello Bortmon:

I'm afraid I have no experience with that. But since BIOS menus tend to look the same, try moving through the tabs and scroll down the lists until you find a drop-menu that allows you to select 'Switchable graphics'. At least that should activate your dedicated card when needed.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

marktan23

Estimable
Aug 14, 2015
Hello.

as you boot up your computer HOLD down the [D] button as your laptop boot up. Your GPU has been disabled by the Operating System.
You can figure this out by going to the device manager and selecting display adapaters.

As you boot your laptop while holding down the [D] key you can re-enable the gpu driver.

this happened to me when my alienware 17 r2 model went into the blue screen and disabled my gpu driver.