Can't unlock Phenom II X3 720 to X4 anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Espionage724

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
I used to be able to unlock my X3 to a X4 easily on my Biostar A880G+ motherboard (just as simple as enabling ACC and having it on auto).

Now when I try to enable it, it sometimes works, sometimes it doesn't. When it does work, it usually only turns on after 1 boot whereas the next boot will leave me unable to POST until I restart the computer twice (afterwards, BIOS says that ACC has failed).

Is it possible I damaged my CPU in some way recently? Recently I ran my CPU at 1.5V and 1.55V but this was only for a day, and it was with X3 I believe, and I also ran at these voltages in the past too for a short period of time.

I'm just confused as to why ACC would unlock it once, and then fail next boot, even if no settings in BIOS are changed...

Solution
I wouldn't normally recommend a BIOS update but in this case i would. that's a bit of a strange problem.

Il do some research as im interested myself and il post back.

Espionage724

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011

it's worked fine though since July last year without any problems. All of a sudden now though it's giving me problems :/

Motopsychojdn

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
I agree with Rolli here,
my x3 435 unlocks fine (old rig,still own though), used to hold a 3.5GHz overclock and slowly over time frazzled, only takes 3.2GHz now,
you are probably onto something with the voltages being a possible cause as well
Moto

Espionage724

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
I'll try a BIOS update a little bit later. I did reset CMOS though, but that didn't make a difference

I tried setting a lower clock speed and voltage on the CPU as well prior to trying to unlock, and it would still fail

Espionage724

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
Hmm, so it turns out it wasn't actually the BIOS update. After rebooting after changing every setting, I found out it was the settings I was using on the HyperTransport.

By default, it was on Auto for both speed and link width. If I try setting it at 2.0Ghz and x16 (which I thought it defaulted to anyway), I can sometimes boot, but if I shut down, I can't reboot without having ACC fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.