Status
Not open for further replies.

Ssa Aad

Estimable
Jun 22, 2014
Recently I installed Windows 7 Starter to my Windows XP Professional SP3(Now it is Windows 7 Starter, Service Pack 1). I did not use Windows Easy Transfer, but i used an external hard drive so that i don't lose my data from the old Windows version. I copied the 'Program Files'Folder to my external hard drive and when i paste it after i installed Windows 7 whenever I try to open Microsoft Office 2007 applications (like word, powerpoint, excel etc.) it says 'The operating system is not presently configured to run this application'. It worked fine when I used Windows XP. When I used Windows XP, I saw Microsoft Office applications in 'Add or Remove Programs' and now its not there. Is that the case?? If that is the case, I still have a .bkf file of my control panel which I had in my previous windows version, but i don't know how to use .bkf in windows 7!

P.S.
I DO NOT have the product key of my Microsoft Office, as it was already installed when I bought my computer. Or do I have it? Is it in my Microsoft Office folder?? I also have have the backup of some other Microsoft Folders from Application Data. Is that any use??

My Only Guess is that Microsoft Office is not registered in my 'Registry Editor' (regedit) which actually is the only logical explanation for me...

Can Someone help me, please? Please... :D

Thanks In Advance anyways!

Solution
Thanks Guys Anyways! I solved the problem. I have downloaded "Produkey" and directed to the hive windows.old/Windows/System32/config/software and there it is: My Office license key! I knew FROM the beginning that there was a way. As many of us know : When there is a will, there is a way

Thanks Anyways for helping me :D

USAFRet

Illustrious
That will not work. Applications must be installed, not simply copied over.
And you can't retrieve the product key. That was contained in the Registry of the old XP install.

Solutions?
Buy a new copy of Office.
Use one of the free alternatives. LibreOffice or OpenOffice.

noidea_77

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
Only a part of the installation goes to the program folder. Other important file go to the windows directory and the shared files folder. You lost all that and all the entries in the registry. Beside that, you should have got the product key with the computer somehow. The windows key is typically printed on a sticker on the PC. Maybe there is a sticker for office as well. Another chance is to google the make/model plus "office key". You may find an article, that explains, where the key can be found.

Ssa Aad

Estimable
Jun 22, 2014

I still have the old Registry editor (Regedit) in a .bkf file. Is THAT any use?

USAFRet

Illustrious

doubtful.

ex_bubblehead

Distinguished

No. Only reinstallation will work.

Ssa Aad

Estimable
Jun 22, 2014

So will degrading my PC to Windows XP and then using Microsoft Office Producy Key Finder applications so that i can find my Office product key in my regisry work???

USAFRet

Illustrious

If/when you reinstall the OS, the original Registry is wiped out. Including whatever information it knew about the previous Office install.

It seems you went from XP Pro to Win 7 Starter. The XP registry that knew your Office 2007 key no longer exists.
If you go from Win7 Pro back to XP....the new XP will still not know anything about the original Office 2007 install, including the license key.

You needed to retrieve that license key before you wiped out the original XP Pro Registry. There is no going back to get it.

Ssa Aad

Estimable
Jun 22, 2014

Even If i have the backup of my old Registry it won't work??? I mean if I go from Win7 back to XP, I just replace the registry with the backup registry I had before, which HAS the license key.... ?

Ssa Aad

Estimable
Jun 22, 2014
Thanks Guys Anyways! I solved the problem. I have downloaded "Produkey" and directed to the hive windows.old/Windows/System32/config/software and there it is: My Office license key! I knew FROM the beginning that there was a way. As many of us know : When there is a will, there is a way

Thanks Anyways for helping me :D

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.