Carmack Demos HMD, Talks Long Next-Gen Console Future

Status
Not open for further replies.

aoneone

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
Long lifespan? Please don't make me laugh again...

Remember Bill Gates in 1981? "640k ought to be enough for anybody..." Yeah lets not jump to conclusions here LOL

juanc

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
You didn't understand there are tech issues... he needs/wants to know the exact scanline (line you are drawing on the display) at a certain point which is hard to know when you have hundreds of different displays, video cards, drivers, and OSes.

In a console, you have ONE of each only. Closed ecosystem.

By the way. I thought that was over after C=64 et.al.

captainnemojr

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
I'm glad that since the fail of Rage, instead of working on Doom 4, he's been working on a headset to go along with Doom 3 Reloaded......

nukemaster

Distinguished
I fully enjoyed Doom 3 Back in the Geforce4 ti/Radeon 9800pro days, but I would much rather get a NEW game not add some levels and slight graphics enhancements to an old games.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
This guy has abandoned PC gaming a while ago; even now, when "working" on a PC game, he still bitches about it. Rage was a flop on PC, and he took the Jobs' attitude "you're using the drivers wrong". Like he didn't have access to the video drivers during development...
He's dead to me, I am sorry I bought his games and will never buy any of his work again. Let him develop for consoles, phones and what ever else he thinks will bring in a quick buck; he's not getting any of my money anymore.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I might start to respect him again as a pioneer much like the old days when Quake was new and he made the best 3d engine with the latest hardware (Voodoo from 3dfx or Riva anyone?). Since then ID haven't been pushing any boundary's at all but rather made efficient use of already old hardware.

G

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm looking forward to a decent HMD VR unit. I remember back in the day going to an amusement park, and inside the arcade they had setup some Sega VR test units. 5 dollars for about 2 minutes and it was AWESOME!! Or so I thought as a young boy. Since that point, I have not seen a similar system and have been extremely disappointed with every product I have tried. "20-45 deg. angles and head tracking that doesn't work, pfff." ended up being my final thoughts.

If Carmack can deliver an HMD with a 90 deg. viewing angle and head tracking that actually WORKS for $500, I'll be all over that! Doom 3 that actually works with the HMD? an added bonus!

But thats just my 2 cents.

Prey

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
I will say this trailer looks awesome, but the only boundry that id and Mr Carmack are pushing is how long you can rest on your laurels.

IMHO I look at Rage as a victory for Carmack, it seemed like after Doom3 he didn't want to do any dev work for PC, so Rage was his "See I told you so." So now he must feel fully justified abandoning the PC market. While he probably didn't want it to fail, it was good for him that it did, so he can make console games.. again.. just good for him.

shloader

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
Prey's right. Rage was just decent enough (barely) that it was a no-lose scenario in the eyes of the Carmack. On the flip side the man's influence is heavily erroded that he's more irrelevant every year. He has so effectively alienated id's original following that no one really cares about their games on PC anymore. In the console space id has no real reputation with that crowd so they must co-develope to get a recognized studio involved... or should I say 'ride on their reputation'?

"Doom? Didn't my dad play that when he was in high school?" - There, ya feelin' old now?

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
I'm not sure if something like this would ever gain enough widespread appeal to be considered a financial success, but he better have something really special after how poorly Rage did. Other than Duke Nukem Forever, I can't recall a game launching at a typical Triple A title price and then slashing the price so quickly. I also agree with the previous comment that he is resting on his laurels. Past success can only carry you so far, even when the games are truly memorable and groundbreaking in their time.

may1

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
Carmack has really killed what used to be ID after all other 3 founders left the company. Enough said about ID

bluestar2k11

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
As much as I love Doom, instead of a Doom3 reloaded I'll never buy, as I have the original versions already, I'd rather they made Quake V based off the monsters, story, and style of the original Quake.

gorillagarrett

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
th
I will say this trailer looks awesome, but the only boundry that id and Mr Carmack are pushing is how long you can rest on your laurels.

IMHO I look at Rage as a victory for Carmack, it seemed like after Doom3 he didn't want to do any dev work for PC, so Rage was his "See I told you so." So now he must feel fully justified abandoning the PC market. While he probably didn't want it to fail, it was good for him that it did, so he can make console games.. again.. just good for him.

It doesn't really look awesome, at all!!

I don't care what the guy thinks.Just because it's easier for him to code for consoles, it doesn't mean we, gamers, are supposed support his business.

Heck, we've been getting the same graphics and mechanics for years now.Especially the mechanics, they haven't really changed since Half Life.

Most of the games that's been released so far in the last few years are really not playable.They just plain suck.In fact, the only game that i've enjoyed in the last couple years is BF3.

However, We have the gamers too blame for the current state of PC / quality gaming.When those kids keep buying those crappy games in those numbers, then those shitty companies and developers will keep using the same old technologies and tools...

PhilFrisbie

Distinguished
[citation][nom]bluestar2k11[/nom]As much as I love Doom, instead of a Doom3 reloaded I'll never buy, as I have the original versions already, I'd rather they made Quake V based off the monsters, story, and style of the original Quake.[/citation]
The original Quake had a story? ;) I thought it was just 'shoot everything that moves'. . .

dreadllokz

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
With cloud any gaming plataform, consoles, pc, mobile, will have "really long lifespan"! I guess, every game will be developed for only ONE plataform, probably PC, and them streamed for your device! It will make life of developers much easier, devices much more cheap and games much more afordable! The cons you all know, can't pirate it, can't play it offline, ping, monthly fee, etc etc!

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
"You can certainly see cloud gaming being built into every display device and traditional consoles could become more like the audiophile niche of people who want the extreme experience there,"

How can a guy who got famous by making few sweet ass FPS for pc say this? Audiophile niche of people who want the extreme is CONSOLES!? I think a little bit inside of me just died a little. PC is THE EXTREME. You freaking MORAN.

Status
Not open for further replies.