Carmack Not Impressed With Next-Gen Console Hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

christarp

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
Until holodecks are invented virtual reality is going to always be subpar to real life and be right in the middle of the uncanny valley.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I agree with him. Virtual reality is the future. This can work on PC let the consoles have their own fun. All we need is an open source community and some funding from kickstarter and we can achieve it. A product for everyone at an affordable price.

billgatez

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
A guy who sells VR equipment says VR is the future. Who would have thought.
This guy also says powerful GPU's are useless but it's thos same GPU's that will be needed to run the high frame rates neaded for 3D.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
He's partially right, but does he really think VR technology is anywhere near the point that it can be commercialized by any gaming company? We're still trying to work out the kinks of 3D ad get rid of the glasses. Any attempt to implement VR right now is nothing more than a sales gimmick. I'm all for innovation, but it would be way too soon for the big three to head down that road. And Nintendo went down the Virtual Boy road a decade and a half ago, with very dismal results. They'll wait for a bit more maturation.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
He made great points. Personally I don't see a huge advantage in increased resolutions. It does not make the games more fun to play. I suppose that it is better than nothing, but it isn't going to redefine gaming in the way that something like VR could.

fudoka711

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]He made great points. Personally I don't see a huge advantage in increased resolutions. It does not make the games more fun to play. I suppose that it is better than nothing, but it isn't going to redefine gaming in the way that something like VR could.[/citation]

I agree that having higher resolutions won't redefine gaming as we know it - VR is the way to go there. Having said that, we're not even close to VR gaming and I'm still waiting for near photo-realistic gaming on my 2D screen. Take Transformer's type CGI or whatever it was, and do that in real time on my single computer instead of pre-rendering it on a super-computer of sorts. Then do that in 3D. THEN we can tackle VR gaming.

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
The guy who shafted PC gaming. Whatever you spews are completely full of shit. He used Nintendo's super selling numbers with Wii but how many people actually used it for longer than few months? Seriously, Sale numbers are becoming worthless when it come to gaming world because after few weeks of big selling moments... That fad fades quick. Move on Carmack because you are clearly outdated. Let some other young people take over the world.

G

"Nintendo went and brought motion into the gaming sphere and while only having a tenth of the processing power, was able to outsell all of them in all of these ways."

The fact that it was a lot cheaper might have been more important.
But honestly this guy is shilling his tech by trash talking. Lots of hot air.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
What would make games more fun to play is the availability of many different, inexpensive and powerful game engines, that would allow small developers to make great games and not live and die by the sales numbers.

bit_user

Distinguished
Herald
Jan 20, 2010
what a badass.

millions of fanboys can be unimpressed and it's not news. But when Carmack says it, it's suddenly ground-breaking and earth-shattering.

Well, I happen to agree with him. I always felt that more horsepower was a good thing, but I've had the same nagging feeling that current-gen consoles should be powerful enough that talented designers can get reasonably close to their visions.

As for his VR headset, I dunno. I think it's a tough sell. I'd rather see a holographic display like the ones Zebra Imaging builds.

G

Carmack may well turn out to be the biggest fad boy imaginable, he certain hold little sentimentality or loyalty to his current interest. He made his money from PC gaming and discarded it like yesterday's toy for Consoles and now happy to move on to his next big thing VR gaming. Before you can say Slow Down Tiger, i am sure he will move on to whatever bright new toy he gets his hands on.

If you follow him, then you are just setting yourself up to be discarded like yesterday's thrash as Carmack like all self absorbed narcissists do not do loyalty except to themselves.

Pyree

Distinguished
VR is about bring realism in virtual space. When the graphics is not realistic, without mastering the graphics to look photo realistic, how can it deliver an authentic VR experience? VR in compromised graphic is IMO not virtual reality, just interactivity of virtual space through input other than keyboard and mouse, because it simply lack the visual realism and not reproducing realism.

Status
Not open for further replies.