Cd DVD not working

Sarah Clopine

Estimable
Jan 14, 2015
I have a Toshiba Satellite C55D-B5310 computer and it is not allowing me to open up CDs or DVDs to watch movies or look at pictures. tsstcorp cddvdw su-208fb driver this is what is not working. I have done everything you can think of. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the device, I have updated the drivers and anything else I can think of. I am running Windows 8.1 this issue started with 10 so I went back to 8.1 thinking that was the problem but that did not work. Thanks in advance for your help.

Solution

Optical drives can fail on a sudden basis. Sometimes the device that projects the laser for reading discs fails; that's what this is sounding like to me - you may want to have a technician take a quick look at it just to make certain.

If it still reads CDs (instead of DVDs) and/or will burn to DVDs or CDs, but will not read DVDs, that definitely sounds like a drive that needs replaced.
What we need to figure out is whether it's a Windows issue (some optical drives won't work due to a somewhat common registry problem in Windows) or a device issue/failure.

Take a look over these links and let us know whether you've tried these suggestions already or not (if not, give some of the suggestions a try): https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/314060

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en-us

If neither of those have helped, the CD/DVD drive may need to be replaced.

Sarah Clopine

Estimable
Jan 14, 2015
I have tried the two links and it tells me media in the cd drive is not readable. I know that the drive was working the other day when I made a video for a school assignment. Also just last week or so it was reading a DVD I needed to watch for a different school assignment. I have done both links as mentioned and nothing is working.

Optical drives can fail on a sudden basis. Sometimes the device that projects the laser for reading discs fails; that's what this is sounding like to me - you may want to have a technician take a quick look at it just to make certain.

If it still reads CDs (instead of DVDs) and/or will burn to DVDs or CDs, but will not read DVDs, that definitely sounds like a drive that needs replaced.

Solution