Changing hard drive on Dell Vostro 3450

ziffbam

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
Hello,

I just got a new Vostro 3450, and while I'm liking the notebook, I want to replace the hard drive. I cannot seem to find a Dell service manual for the 3450, and the 3400 is not the same construction. When I remove the bottom panel, I can see the drive, but it is covered by the lower part of the chassis. Anyone do this yet?

G

Hey

i want to do the same thing, i'm looking for this information too. If you find anything, please repost it :) ill do the same

aggiejohn2003

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
I've experienced the same issue, I was able to add another stick of RAM without issue, but they sure have secured that hard drive in there well. Quick (unrelated) question though, did any of you guys notice like a filmy haze on the screen when you first opened the notebook? It seemed to come off with screen cleaner for the most part, but it sure was concerning to see when I first opened. It's easiest to see on dark backgrounds. Please let us know what you hear from Dell on the HD issue though, I have a shiny new SSD that's just waiting to be put to work!

ziffbam

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
So, I finally figured it out. I have to warn you that first, I don't have any pics or vids of the process. And second, this has to be the most difficult hard drive swap you will ever perform. Rule of thumb, if you see a screw, you will need to remove it.

1. Take out the battery
2. Remove the bottom panel
3. Remove the screws under the bottom panel
4. Slide out the DVD drive where there are another 2 screws
5. Carefully remove the keyboard
6. Remove the thin ribbon cables for the keyboard, trackpad, etc
7. Remove the screws under the keyboard
8. Gently pry apart the top and bottom
9. Remove the heat sink fan
10. Remove the monitor cable
11. Remove any screws holding the larger motherboard
12. Remove the larger motherboard
13. Replace the hard drive

Now take a breather, and reverse the steps to put it back together. :pt1cable:

All in all, it took over an hour to swap the drive. I'm happy with the laptop in general, but this is insane. If this is really supposed to be a business laptop, they should have made it easier to remove the drive.

G

I stop on point 5. How you remove keyboard? Only keyboard or all black part from top with keyboard?
On point 2 you only remove black bottom part(silver parts from left and right stay)?

ziffbam

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
I stop on point 5. How you remove keyboard? Only keyboard or all black part from top with keyboard?
On point 2 you only remove black bottom part(silver parts from left and right stay)?

To remove the keyboard, I used an old credit card to pry around the edges. Make sure you get fully underneath the keyboard. There is a layer of plastic on top that you don't want to pry off.

The silver edges are part of the bottom. They don't separate at all

aggiejohn2003

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
...and on that note, the SSD I bought is going back to Amazon. I'm pretty happy, stock drive doesn't seem too noisy. Graphics card (ATI) isn't as powerful as I would have liked, and it's hard to tell when it's integrated vs. discrete graphics. (I guess that's good?) But, I don't know... I would like some kind of indication when I'm using the discrete graphics (a little LED of a lightning bolt or something on the keyboard maybe??) :)

Thanks for the instructions though Ziff, I printed them just in case I want to attempt this in the future!

G

Thx for replay. I already change my hdd, and You have absolutely right! That was the most difficult hdd swap in laptop :)

bjorm

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
hey

a have only one question: what about warranty?
i called to information center in poland (where i bought my vostro 3450) and technical director said (according to schemes in his projects book) that its forbidden to remowe hdd by myself. if i do this i will lose my next business day warranty. the strangest think is that in vostro 3350, 3550 and 3750 there is no such a warning.
information confirmed few times.

king regards / konrad

jmegapac

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
In step "8. Gently pry apart the top and bottom", I'm having trouble getting the top and the bottom frames to come off of each other. When I try to take them apart, it feels as if the middle of the lower area (below the touchpad) and the left side are still screwed on.

Can someone please take a look at these pictures and see if I've missed any screws? I've put in green arrows for the screws that have been removed.

View from the top:
http://img820.imageshack.us/i/img3075.png/

View from the bottom:
http://img52.imageshack.us/i/img3068.png/

Thank you.

anony_mouse

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
While you were in the did you figure out how to replace the wireless card? How many antennas are in there? I opened up the back and keyboard and didn't see any obvious access to the wireless card.

fogchaser

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
I called Dell support on this and was told a) replacing the hard drive would invalidate the warranty and b) there is no documentation available (e.g. service guide) that outlines the steps even if I'm willing to assume that risk. I went as far as to write a letter to Dell HQ and was contacted by someone on the Executive Customer Support Team who was of no help. The absurdity of requiring this level of disassembly to replace a hard drive is just beyond belief. The web is replete with people trashing Dell; add me to the list. Never again.

ziffbam - I appreciate the information you provided. I'm going to give it a go; it's a matter of principle now :)

octeuron

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
did your 3450 have protective plastic on the hinges?

mine does and the are not possible to completely remove!

the plastic is wrapped around the hinges which go into the laptop and when i try to remove it, it rips off the accessible section but remains on the underside of the hinges.
im worried that if i just leave it there, the one that is right by the cpu heatsink will eventually start to melt once the unit gets hot enough.

i dont think that the plastic is supposed to be there on the hinges... it was probably supposed to be removed by the assembly person before being put on.

i should not have to dismantle a brand new laptop just to remove some protective plastic but it seems that is exactly what i need to do.

i cannot find a proper manual for this unit as the only thing available on the site is some quick guide which only outlines the laptops features.

does anyone know the process of how i can access the hinges from the bottom?

jmegapac

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011

I don't know if I can be of any help, but do you have any pictures of the hinges?

fogchaser

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011

I did replace the hard drive with an SSD. It was not necessary to remove the hinges as the top of the base separates from the bottom and sort of slides out from underneath the screen assembly. This is unlike every other laptop I've disassembled where it was necessary to remove the screen assembly from the base.

octeuron

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011

do you remember if during your disassembly, you were able to see the underside of the hinges?
i dont need to remove them...i only need access to the underside so that i can remove the plastic

fogchaser

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011

No, I never even looked at the hinges. This plastic you're referring to - is it something you could see when the laptop was fully assembled but doesn't appear to belong there??

TRENDING THREADS