changing Power Options to "maximum performance" causes the computer to freeze

SC SA

Estimable
Dec 8, 2014
Hey guys, so I bought a Lenovo laptop (windows 7) a few months ago and it works great except for one little thing. When i go to Power Options and try to change it to "maximum performance" the laptop instantly freezes and i cant even move the mouse cursor. I have to hold the power button for a few seconds so it restarts and when it boots its still in "balanced mode" though). I tried changing it from Intel Graphics Control Panel and the same thing happened. Right after i click "apply" the laptop freezes (I can Change it to "power saving mode" I called Intel and they told me they had no idea what is causing this. They told me to contact Lenovo but they were useless. I tried re-installing windows, re-installing all the drivers, running some anti-virus software but nothing helped. A guy that I know had a similar problem and told me it could be a RAM issue. But my laptop is still in warranty and I don't wanna open it up and mess with it.
I also noticed that i can't use "Performance Information and Tools" to rate my system. The laptop freezes 1-2 seconds after i click "Refresh". It's not been rated even once. I hope someone has any ideas because i have been struggling with this issue for more than a month now.

Solution
Don't contact Lenovo. Go to forums and ask there. Or give the laptop to the person from whom you've bought. If from online stores and they don't provide support, you have only options to RESET/RESTORE/RE-INSTALL Windows.

SC SA

Estimable
Dec 8, 2014
I contacted them a while ago. They said that they have no idea what's the problem.

I tried to change the power in safe mode and it worked. But when I restarted I got black screen. So I had to go to safe mode again and return the settings to something other than max performance.

Agera One

Estimable
Apr 11, 2014
Go to Lenovo website and download the latest drivers and install. Don't install any drivers from component manufacturers website (say intel/nvidia/amd, etc).

Do windows update. Download & install Ccleaner, open it, delete unwanted files, do a registry clean and restart your system.

Agera One

Estimable
Apr 11, 2014
Don't contact Lenovo. Go to forums and ask there. Or give the laptop to the person from whom you've bought. If from online stores and they don't provide support, you have only options to RESET/RESTORE/RE-INSTALL Windows.

Solution