Cheap(Sub-$60) Gaming/Skype PC Headset Recommendations?

K_Wall_24

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
Hey guys. First off, I'm buying these in Canada, which makes a huge difference in both price and availability.

So, I've needed a good headset for a while now. I'm currently using my Wii Headbanger Headset, which is certainly not ideal. The problem I'm running into, though, is that everything cheap in the US, isn't cheap once it crosses the border.

I've been looking at the Turtle Beach z11's, for two reasons - they are cheap, and they use the 4-pole TRRS connector. I use my Lenovo ThinkPad W530 for gaming, which only has a combo mic/speaker port, like you would find on an iPhone or other smartphone. The only reason I haven't bought the z11's already is because I can't find any reputable reviews.

I've also been looking at the GameCom 380, but they use two different plugs, and would therefore need an adapter, which adds to the cost of the headset. They're also much more expensive and hard to find in Canada.

I also looked at the Creative Fatal1ty, but it falls victim to the same issues of both plugs and price.

As with the Turtle Beach x12's, and nearly anything else. Any headset I get, I'm not worried about breaking them, as I'm very careful with my stuff. If they break for no reason, that's something to be worried about.

If I am to get the Fatal1ty, the 380, or another one that needs an adapter, please link to one, as I'm not exactly sure what I'd need.

TL;DR I'm looking to spend as little as possible($60 or less), and get a headset nice enough for gaming and Skype/Mumble, preferably using a 4-pole connector, or one that includes an adapter for it. Recommendations? Anything is appreciated.

DarkSable

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
Take a look at TekNMotion - I know that at least in the US, they make a pair of $20 headphones that outclasses EVERYTHING up to twice its price. The only downside to them is that if you fiddle with the cable while on the phone, like I have the bad tendency to do, the solder comes loose from the in-line control.

K_Wall_24

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013

They look alright, but I'd need an adapter for them and I don't know what I'd need.

EDIT: I think I found the wrong ones. Are these what you're talking about?[also here on amazon]

DarkSable

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
Mmm, gotcha. Forgot you needed a 4-pole.

That being said, pretty much no headset in that price range is going to come with a 4-pole connector - it's really only a feature on the luxury headsets that have multiple different cables they can use anyways, because of how uncommon the need is.

As much as I hate to say it, you might have to go with a USB headset. Either that or find an adaptor and use whatever headset you want.

K_Wall_24

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013

It doesn't need a 4-pole, just preferable. The z11 already has one, but I'm not sure if the headset is good for the price. I'll get an adapter if I need to, though. A usb headset would be good though.

DarkSable

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
The trouble with the Turtle Beaches is that you're paying a fair bit for the name, and they only have a 4-foot cord. I suppose if you're just sitting at your laptop that could be okay, but I would think it would bother me.

If you do go with USB, you're going to want to go more on the expensive side, as cheap USB headsets suck even more than normal. I'd look at something like this.

K_Wall_24

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013

I would love to get a 380, but they're difficult to find in Canada, and they're quite a bit more expensive here too. And they aren't actually USB. Good try though :p