China Blocks Google Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
Your Content in our Services: When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes that we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content.
... Wow. Do all the cloud services have s*** like that in their TOS? No way using any of them if so.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
No, China is just paranoid that their slaves...ahem...citizens might be saying something bad about them, or plotting to overthrow the regime. Or some stupid communist though process like that.

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Your Content in our Services: When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes that we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content.
Welcome to the cloud that people have been begging for. Sorry But I'd rather host my own files.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]phatboe[/nom]Welcome to the cloud that people have been begging for. Sorry But I'd rather host my own files.[/citation]If you are not using encryption then assume your files are public when using any server not under your control.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
[citation][nom]Darkerson[/nom]No, China is just paranoid that their slaves...ahem...citizens might be saying something bad about them, or plotting to overthrow the regime. Or some stupid communist though process like that.[/citation]
You obviously have no idea in the difference of communist government between China, Russia, and North Korea. Unlike Russia and North Korea, China is currently undergoing the largest and fastest middle-income growth rate the world has ever seen. When you see a third world country turning into a first world, it is a potential goldmine. China is protecting themselves from outside investors. For example, imagine if Google wasn't blocked by their firewall. Look at Baidu's stock portfolio. It is ridiculous how FAST and how MUCH their stock prices rose in such little time. China is protecting their money and trying to keep their wealth inside the country rather then leaking out. Nothing to do with bad-mouthing or overthrowing.

maniac62

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
I agree with ikyung. This is just trade protection. Blocking facebook so people have to go to Renren, blocking twitter so they have to use Sina Weibo, blocking youtube so people have to use youku and tudou. Without censorship, the revenue goes to foreign companies rather than local startups.

And US government is doing something similar. The US government has blocked Huawei from bidding national projects, and as a result, American people will pay more for lower quality telecom infrastructure.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]maniac62[/nom]I agree with ikyung. This is just trade protection. Blocking facebook so people have to go to Renren, blocking twitter so they have to use Sina Weibo, blocking youtube so people have to use youku and tudou. Without censorship, the revenue goes to foreign companies rather than local startups.And US government is doing something similar. The US government has blocked Huawei from bidding national projects, and as a result, American people will pay more for lower quality telecom infrastructure.[/citation]

But that's bullshit. You know, I don't give a damn how much a local social networking website makes if all my friends are on Facebook or how much a native car company makes if I prefer foreign cars! I really, really don't give a damn because in the end, the people suffer and businesses profit. Who gives a crap how much stock Baidu has? China is still an overpopulated censored MESS, and I'm not jealous of it at all. I'd rather live in a country which doesn't restrict my access to goods and services I can use. I know it's possible - I live in one :D

G

oh ya, you in a country where a 10 years old can gun you down for no reason

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
[citation][nom]maniac62[/nom]I agree with ikyung. This is just trade protection. Blocking facebook so people have to go to Renren, blocking twitter so they have to use Sina Weibo, blocking youtube so people have to use youku and tudou. Without censorship, the revenue goes to foreign companies rather than local startups.And US government is doing something similar. The US government has blocked Huawei from bidding national projects, and as a result, American people will pay more for lower quality telecom infrastructure.[/citation]

That actually has a good reasoning: we cannot trust China to not put 'backdoors' into the things that they would sell us. I wish it was different, but in the real world.... they just aren't trustworthy.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]But that's bullshit. You know, I don't give a damn how much a local social networking website makes if all my friends are on Facebook or how much a native car company makes if I prefer foreign cars! I really, really don't give a damn because in the end, the people suffer and businesses profit. Who gives a crap how much stock Baidu has? China is still an overpopulated censored MESS, and I'm not jealous of it at all. I'd rather live in a country which doesn't restrict my access to goods and services I can use. I know it's possible - I live in one[/citation]
No one said they agreed with the ideals of communism. Just stating facts about why they are taking the type of actions they do. I love a democratic capitalistic government as much as the next guy.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]But that's bullshit. You know, I don't give a damn how much a local social networking website makes if all my friends are on Facebook or how much a native car company makes if I prefer foreign cars! I really, really don't give a damn because in the end, the people suffer and businesses profit. Who gives a crap how much stock Baidu has? China is still an overpopulated censored MESS, and I'm not jealous of it at all. I'd rather live in a country which doesn't restrict my access to goods and services I can use. I know it's possible - I live in one[/citation]

If you're in China, then all of your friends probably AREN'T on Facebook, so your entire first and second sentences are BS. Your third, fourth, and fifth sentences are BS because the Chinese people aren't suffering as a result of this because they have other viable options and although there are a lot of people in China, it's a fairly big place, so it's not that overpopulated for it's size. Sure, the USA is bigger and has less people, but the USA is rather underpopulated for it's size. There are actually some benefits to this such as making it cheaper to make infrastructure that will reach the greatest amount of people in the cheapest ways.

For example, the USA has horribly slow yet still expensive internet and a big part of this is simply because of how spread out much of the population is. Of course, there are also huge fines in the USA for companies who want to join the ISP market so it's not just that, but the low population density of the country contributes greatly.

The Chinese people have options. If they want any service that is being blocked that was mentioned in he article or comments, they have alternatives. China blocking the foreigners is exactly what they need to do in order to survive this global economic crisis. It allows China to not be screwed over by other companies who want to bleed China dry of its resources.

As for your last sentence, go ahead and tell us one country that doesn't restrict access to goods and services that you could otherwise use.

[citation][nom]Christopher1[/nom]That actually has a good reasoning: we cannot trust China to not put 'backdoors' into the things that they would sell us. I wish it was different, but in the real world.... they just aren't trustworthy.[/citation]

The same is true for EVERY country.

[citation][nom]bush243[/nom]oh ya, you in a country where a 10 years old can gun you down for no reason[/citation]

Once again, the same is true for every country.

G

CHINA is playing the game in cheat mode but you see it.
USA is playing hero mode but cheat behind that makes it harder to work out.
CHINA is putting their money in develop more advance weapon for the future.
USA is borrowing money for food stamp and facebook.
the fact that is china is doing business with USA but never follow the rule that is set by the US. but there is always some small slave(ally) country like japan and Korea will always be there to sink in the bottom before US. oh wait. I need to put more money in my facebook stock now. is keep growing..... bahahaha.......
vote for obama if you are hungry and dont want a job. the chinese will keep feeding you for the next 10 years till you lost all your ability to work and they will take you down.

ukee1593

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009

From my reading into the background of Huawei I cannot understand why the US have blocked them from bidding for national projects, but other countries have blocked them too (eg Australia) citing similar reasons ... so perhaps there is more behind that one than just "protecting the local industry".

++ In response to your last comment: While Huawei may be cheaper than alternatives, I doubt that they offer a superior product to the likes of Ericsson, Nokia Siemens, Motorola, or Cisco.

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011

Maybe that's why China blocked Google Drive...

You really think china cares about their citizens' privacy

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
The world neds to block China. And also the Wolrd needs to stop getting crap made there and start producing our stuff. If you think about it, things are not equal. Chine thinks it can make money from all of us, but when it comes time to try to compete in china market not a chance. Its so one sided. China hordes all the money it makes. One day they will control everything due to Corporations greed.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]madooo12[/nom].You really think china cares about their citizens' privacy[/citation]

Name one country that care's about the privacy of the citizens within said country.

[citation][nom]shqtth[/nom]The world neds to block China. And also the Wolrd needs to stop getting crap made there and start producing our stuff. If you think about it, things are not equal. Chine thinks it can make money from all of us, but when it comes time to try to compete in china market not a chance. Its so one sided. China hordes all the money it makes. One day they will control everything due to Corporations greed.[/citation]

The rest of the world is no better than China. China is simply feeding off of the world's greed. Yes, they should be blocked for the sake of the rest of the greedy world, but not because they are on the moral low ground. They really aren't any worse than the rest of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.