Chrome and Firefox being incredibly slow for quite some time now

spectralcanine

Estimable
Jun 10, 2016
For quite some time now, both Chrome and Firefox are being incredibly slow.
I am not talking about network issues, I have a great 100Mbit connection with no issues whatsoever.
The programs themselves keep getting frozen for a second or two every couple of seconds (even as I am typing this text), opening tabs (also empty ones) causes freezes, switching tabs causes freezes, and their memory usage keeps increasing up to gigabytes for unknown reasons (huge leaks in their core code?), regardless of what open tabs I have.

I have disabled all extensions and plugins, cleaned the cache, etc.

In fact, I figured this was just my computer not being formatted for quite some time, so I clean installed Windows 10 and the browsers, and the same exact behavior happens.

The only browser that seems to work fine is....IE, sadly.

I have no external programs that should affect the browsers (no anti virus, etc.), and all of my other programs and Windows itself work as smooth as ever.

What on earth is going on?

Am I really going to be forced to use IE? *shudders*

spectralcanine

Estimable
Jun 10, 2016

It actually turned out to be some ad related code that obliterated the JS VM when using an ad blocker. I didn't look into whether it's on purpose or just bugged code.

SilverSeal

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
I have had similar issues about 9 months ago despite having zero add-ons for neither Firefox or Chrome. Firefox crashed quite often while Chrome was just generally very slow and sometimes unresponsive for a few seconds (especially when CTRL+scrolling for zooming in/out) while using 6GB+ memory even if just a few tabs open. Also a lot of websites was behaving very awkward in Chrome if you deleted all cookies after each session which I have all browsers set to do.

I swapped to Microsoft Edge and all these problems disappeared and to my great surprise the User Interface was also much more appealing than Internet Explorer. I even uninstalled Chrome and now uses Microsoft Edge as my primarily browser and Firefox as a compliment but only for the few things the Edge browser doesn't support yet (or it may actually support all my needs now if I add some of the new add-ons, have not checked). Firefox still crashes at times, but it's not at often as it used to be as I don't multi-task with Firefox any more.