Classic Earphone cracking on load sound (Just if there is bass) on Amplifier

eresdev

Estimable
Jul 28, 2017
I've been using Edifier H185 classic earphones for years and they were just amazing. No matter what device I used them on, or what amplifier - they just sound great every time. Recently a kid broke its wire and it was time to get a new one.

I wanted to try out new earphones and first I bought Edifier H180 and then Sennheiser MX 585. Both create cracking sound on loud music. I know loud music is bad for health but still, my Edifier H185 never caused cracking and now any earphone I am buying has this cracking on on loud music. Normally, these earphones are fine, but cause cracking on Amplifer. I have Sound Blaster Z sound card and I am using its headphone amplifier.

I do want loud music sometimes and I need it work without cracking on loud music. How can I solve this problem or may be any other classic earphone recommendation that I should get to avoid this cracking.

eresdev

Estimable
Jul 28, 2017

In one way you can say that. Because it is supposed to create loud music as compared to built in sound card. Now there is no cracking when there is no bass in sound. But when there is bass, Edifier H180 produces cracking at 80% volume and Sennheiser MX 585 causes cracking at 60% volume. My old Edifier H185 never created cracking on this Amplifier.

Other than this, Sound Blaster Z is fine with speakers and it sounds really good.

Well...in general....when you have more bass...your amp it outputting more power. The "amp" in this case is the Soundblaster card. There may be something wrong with the amp. If both headphones have cracking, it's probably not the headphones.

eresdev

Estimable
Jul 28, 2017

In this case, we can say that those earphones simply can't afford or handle that much power. Which specification I should check in earphone to make it fully compatible with amplifier. What I check is "Sound Pressure Level (SPL)".

We can't actually blame Edifier H180 because its SPL is low 100db. But Sennheiser MX 585 has 118db and it is ten times more expensive that H1180. I should have worked fine. My old H185 had 110db by the way.

eresdev

Estimable
Jul 28, 2017

Hm... good point. I will try them on some other Amplifier and we will see. I will post and update once I will do so. Thank you so much for your answers.