Clean Sony VAIO Overheating

CanesBridge

Honorable
Apr 26, 2013
Hi there

I really hope you guys can help me out.. So I got a Sony VAIO VPCEB4X1E/BQ. I have downloaded Speedfan to check the temperatures, and everytime I use my laptop just a bit, the temperatures (mostly GPU, CPU and System) shows the little flame icon. I figured that it couldn't be right, so I figured I would buy a complete new cooling system for my laptop. I bought a new fan, thermal paste (arctic silver 5) and a can of compressed air. I replaced the fan, did a total clean of everything in the laptop and replaced the thermal paste.
Now, I agree that it helped to a point, but it's still showing the flame/overheating symbol really really fast. The laptop is approx. two years old. I figured this can't be right?
Does anybody know what to do? Help me please! :)

Best regards
Aleksander

yillbs

Honorable
Apr 24, 2013
aside from what is showing overheating. What IS actually showing as being to hot? Is it the CPU, the GPU, the moterboard? How hott is the air coming out of the fans ( on side, or below ). Are you doing anything when testing, or are you just testing. If it's an issue with the temp on one product and not the others, that's one thing.. but if each monitored piece of equipment is showing as hot, it could mean something rather simple. I too am curious as to what your temps are. Also, try another program like speccy, or other than speedfan, get a few different readings, ones with actual numbers, not just little flame icons.

CanesBridge

Honorable
Apr 26, 2013

Thanks for the quick replies. I screenshot the temps from speedfan when not running anything specifically on my computer.
http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt316/TheBigA2990/screen_zpse7e97ef4.png (it wouldn't allow me to post the picture even though I have confirmed my account..)

I had the store I bought the replacement fan do the replacement and adding the compound, so I believe that it has been done correctly. I tried some other applications as well as speed fan, and they all showed rather high temperatures. Speccy showed the motherboard to be 58 degrees and the CPU to be 53 degrees. And this is while not being used. Only thing that's never too hot is the harddrive.
And as for the temps of the air actually coming out of the pc.. The weird thing is, that it's not really that hot all the time. When stress-testing my CPU for just 5 minutes it reached 80+ degrees.

yillbs

Honorable
Apr 24, 2013
53 degrees isnt that bad tbh. I sit at 51 all day for work. I have an i7 tho. If I start cod in max settings im in the 80s within 5 min of playing. I have an ultra book though. So all I know is those temps. Im sure someone else can w3igh in. But that seems pretty normal imo.

CanesBridge

Honorable
Apr 26, 2013

Okay, that's a relief! Thanks..
I have an i5 2.67GHz, does it sound like fair temps? And when rendering movies in high-end programs, 80+ degrees isn't that bad? Cause then I'm all greatful! It isn't really noisy either and the air coming out the sink isn't that hot, unless i'm really pushing it

yillbs

Honorable
Apr 24, 2013
you REALLY don't need to be concerned unless you start to breach 90c. It's a semi high clock speed for a notebook. I know some would argue it's not THAT high, but because of the form factor your laptop has, it's probably transferring heat much more than you want / need. But overall, no i don't think you have much of an issue. You should start to wonder what's happening when you break 90c, and even then, it's still possible, depending upon what you are doing.

CanesBridge

Honorable
Apr 26, 2013

Awesome, thanks a lot! You just made my day

Not sure what system you have specifically, so 50s may or may not be the norm for your idle temps. Usually the gaming systems I come across idle around 35± C to 45± C, and reach the 80s during heavy load.

Of course, temps vary from cooling system to cooling system, so that may be perfectly normal for your laptop. As long as you're not hitting 90+ C as yillbs mentioned, you're okay.