Question Clevo P150SM-A 980m GPU Replacement

wussification

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2013
Hello,

I own a Clevo P150SM-A laptop (purchased from Sager) that came with an 8 GB Nvidia GTX 980m GPU. After many years (~7-8) have passed, the GPU has died on me, and so I ordered a replacement from eBay for DELL/MSI laptops (listed as new and working, but who knows). The new card came in, but upon replacing the old one with it, this new one does not seem to be recognized by my laptop at all. I am using stock bios, and the card does not appear in BIOS or Windows, nor does it generate any heat while the laptop is turned on. I have made a few observations:
  1. The SMD parts at the top of the chip (U3, U4, U5, U6, U8, and U9) are positioned differently. Both cards have three chips present but in different positions.
  2. The brand is, of course, different. I assume this may present an issue due to the vbios. I am very comfortable with soldering rework, and believe the vbios is stored on U2 (at the bottom left front side near the card edge), but I am not positive.
Does anyone have any ideas as to what the issue could be with this new card (assuming it is not defective/broken)? Alternatively, I am open to fixing the original card and would not mind harvesting the new one for parts if necessary. I am also very comfortable with a multimeter, I am just not positive where to probe on this card.

Any help is greatly appreciated!