I have a toshiba satellite laptop, when I boot to windows from GRUB boot menu, I got always colored lines that disappear in 1min at max this happened when I install linux alongside windows 7. I also tried to change my linux distro 3 times but I always get the same problem.
Does those line appear when you connect an external monitor onto your laptop? Here are some test or troubleshooting steps that you can do that may help.
- While the external monitor is connected to the laptop, observe if you'll still see those line on it.
- If there will be no line on the external monitor but there is on the built in display that could only mean that the problem is the with the built in display.
- You can try to open the laptop and check the ribbon cable that connects the LCD to the motherboard but if it will still not work that could only mean that it's time to replace the LCD.
- But if you'll also see the lines on the external monitor, it can either be just a driver problem or the GPU itself.
- Do a clean install of the graphics driver first inside Windows.
- Here's how to do the clean install of the GPU driver. Please use the link below for the complete guide.
- If the same problem will persist after these troubleshooting steps do also try removing the Linux OS installed and see if it will still happen or not.