Comcast basic channels non HD box trying to get it to give me video on my Samsung hdtv

Abhobbs

Estimable
Oct 2, 2014
I have Comcast basic channels with a non HD box, a Sony av receiver for my 5.1 surround sound, and a Samsung hdtv. Currently I have the rca cords hooked to my receiver because that's the only option on my comcast box. It's giving me audio but no video. I'm not interested in upgrading my comcast box to HD as I've "cut the cords" so these few local channels are good enough. Bought an antenna thinking that would help but now I have over the air stations that play audio through my tv speakers, which isn't ideal. I also have a roku and an Xbox. Looking for help on how I can get those few measly Comcast channels to play video on my tv. Is there a cord to go from coax to something newer on my receiver? the Comcast guy said my setup wasn't allowing the video because all my cords are hdmi. I'm confused :/ any suggestions?

Solution
Your non-HD set top box from Comcast should have RCA audio (L/R Red/White), a Composite (Yellow) and/or Component (Red/Blue/Green) video outputs; as well as (probably) a coaxial output. Your HDTV should have matching inputs (Composite, Components, and Coaxial). While the Red/White audio cables should be going to your receiver, you should have your video connections going straight to your HDTV. Without know specifically what models components you have, it's impossible for us to say which would be ideal.

-Wolf sends

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Basically, you have to get a Comcast HD box. No other way to do this that I have seen, there is no HDMI to coax or the inverse that I have ever seen.
Better yet: Switch to torrents for the shows on those few channels as long as you have a reasonably high (over 100GB) bandwidth limitation with your ISP.

Your non-HD set top box from Comcast should have RCA audio (L/R Red/White), a Composite (Yellow) and/or Component (Red/Blue/Green) video outputs; as well as (probably) a coaxial output. Your HDTV should have matching inputs (Composite, Components, and Coaxial). While the Red/White audio cables should be going to your receiver, you should have your video connections going straight to your HDTV. Without know specifically what models components you have, it's impossible for us to say which would be ideal.

-Wolf sends

Solution