Comcast Wins 'Worst Company in America' Award

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
I have been using comcast for years, and I have had a couple of problems, but for the most part I am happy with my service. Had AT&T for a year, and couldn't stand there dsl. Much happier with comcast.

Only problems I had with comcast are:

1. My modem went bad, and I was on the phone for hours with them, kept telling them it was the modem, but they kept telling me it was my computer, finally they sent some one out, who was there 10 minutes, replaced the modem, and it fixed the problem.

2. One time I sent in a check to them like a week before it was due, and they said they didn't get it, and cut my internet, I called them, got in a huge argument, and they said they couldn't reconnect it unless I paid again, even though I have never missed a payment, so I ended up doing a credit card payment. A month later, somehow they got the check and it went through and made my checking account bounce. Now I only pay with credit card.

Oh, one time, they sent out two people to hook up my internet after I moved, one guy came, hooked it up, then another showed up to hook it up, I felt bad cuz I pretty much laughed in his face when he arrived.

Oh, almost forgot, the first guy didn't were his booties and got mud all over my new carpet. Luckily it came out easily with my brothers carpet shampooer.

Well, I guess they aren't so great. Speed wise though, I love my internet, and "in my area", comcast is the best, at least as far as I know. I live in northern illinois, so if anyone knows of anything better let me know.

When I used AT&T, there prices were rediculous, couldn't get more then one pc to use internet at a time when hooked up to my router, kept on booting other pc off. Pain to setup with all the filters and software, multiple connection issues, and DSL was really slow. Had them about 4-5 years ago. I'll never go back.

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
Oh, almost forgot, i'm only paying $68.00 a month for 12mb connection and cable. Which to me is cheap. Been using comcast for years now, very little down time, and they haven't raised my bill, actually I cut of my phone and t.v. when I moved, and they gave me a deal so I could get t.v. and internet even cheaper then I was before.

loneninja

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
I say they deserve it. I had comcast once, and couldn't get a network running. Finally found out from comcast that the promotional deal I was getting from them didn't support more than 1 computer online at a time. Than I had to pay them to come set up a network, because what ever magical thing the guy did made the router work, because oddly enough it wouldn't without a service guy cokming. I also becamse a victim of their speed throttling, spent months fighting with them on why I was paying for high speed internet and even xbox live couldn't stay connected due to really slow internet.

Yup, worst company ever.

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
[citation][nom]bane643[/nom]After my recent experience with Comcast I have to totally agree with the award. I was a customer for almost 5 years and didn't have to call them with a single complaint. Until now. Last week I noticed my internet usage went over the 250 GB limit. Was confused how this could happen because I do not use bittorrent or stream video. My wireless network is protected with WPA2 and a password combination of letters, numbers and special characters. I don't believe anyone piggybacked on my connection.This past weekend I powered down my router and cable modem to try and troubleshoot what was going on and STILL my usage went up according to their meter on the website. Called to express my concerns and the technicians were unable (or unwilling) to help me troubleshoot why my usage was continuing to spike even though I was essentially disconnected for 48 hours straight.Closed my account and filed a complaint with the BBB. Goodbye.[/citation]

??? So.....Basically you are saying you haven't had a problem with them for 5 years, and now you have one problem so they are the worst company ever?

5 years is a damn good track record if you ask me.

G

I've gotta say, I've had Comcast for 2 years now in Vacaville, CA, with both 12Mbit internet and unlimited long distance phone, for a nice bundle deal of $55/mo. I called to cancel the phone last year when the deal was up because I was planning on moving to Skype's phone service, but they extended it for another year. I'll be trying that again soon when my second year is up. Everything's always worked perfectly, their phone reps always been very helpful and friendly, and I can't argue with the price. While we're on the topic of companies that everone hates, I've got AT&T for my cell service, and I've always got a full-bar 3G signal with excellent speed.

spleendamage

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
I had Verizon (DSL) and then they sold their assets to Fairpoint. Fairpoint was unreliable and couldn't get their billing straightened out, so I switched to Comcast. I got tv, internet and voice and was paying $225 a month. A couple months ago I got a letter saying my "promotional" pricing was expiring, so my rates would go up. Canceled my tv and voice, kept my internet.

The woman I spoke to when I canceled was nice. She didn't jerk me around trying to get me to keep the services I was dumping. Their internet is the fastest I can get and pretty reliable, so I can't really be down on Comcast... except I think they price gouge pretty heavily for their TV services.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
The problem is that in most places Comcast is a government sanctioned monopoly, since they won't let any other company string lines.

I feel the municipality should buy the poles and lease the space to as many competitors (of any type: be it cable, phone, power, whatever) as possible so that there would be plenty of competition. After all, 5 lines or 10 lines is irrelevant when there is already a pole with lines running through my backyard.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]doomsy2006[/nom]If we are talking the WORST company then I would have to say that would be Comcost oh excuse me Comcast... but if we only looked at who had the WORST Customer Service I would have to go FLAT OUT ~ VERIZON[/citation]
Yet, every single time I've ever had to call verizon they fixed my problem that very minute (or within 24 hours depending on what is humanly capable). And they always credited my account if I got bogus charges immediately (some slimy premium txt message companies got my wife's cellphone info off her resume).

I guess the moral of the story here is, individual user experience varies. I've never had any of the problems that the people upset with Comcast have had and was very happy with their service/product, not to say other folks' problems weren't real.

Of course, voting it worst company in America seems like people have their priorities a bit skewed. Their product hasn't caused loss of life through unintended acceleration or explosions via improper methane ventilation. They didn't nearly destroy the world economy through risky 'business' (i.e. gambling via synthetic CDOs) practices or shady backroom deals with hedge fund managers. And so on...

logitic

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
I hate Comcast, but they are the only broadband isp in my area. The fact they can slow down my over priced bandwidth at anytime they want really erks me. I wish another company would come to my area so I could switch!

improviz

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
Comcast has been a mixed bag for me. I went Comcast when ATT told me due to my distance from the CO, my DSL speeds would never be over 1.5 max. After some horrendous phone issues (we bundled), things have smoothed out. Phone, internet (with speedboost, Broadband Reports avg 22 down, 17 up), cable. Only 1 HD box, extended basic, no pay stations. Total is $147 a month for all three. I have friends over in Oakland (I'm in SF) with U-Verse who are pulling their hair out over horrible tech support and near-unusable hardware. They're ready to switch back. Don't get me wrong, $1.50 charge for ONE call to 411 on my phone bill almost made me pull the plug. But for now, I'll stick with Comcast over ATT.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
This is completely fabricated. If traveled around the country and used Comcast for Internet and TV and compared to the 90's and mid-2000's I haven't had a better cable provider than Comcast. Sure we don't all have Optium or Fio's or AT&T's make believe Fiber network with U-Verse along with Qwests also fabricated Fiber network.

Too many thoughts but in simple terms Comcast is a pioneer in the cable market. I had 6/384 basic low Internet two years ago and now that same basic service has been upgraded to 16/2 in just two years for free! Not to mention this year its expected to go to 22/4 for free also. Time Warner should be the worst company for even attempting to do the caps they were suggesting. At least Comcasts is more reasonable, even though I hate caps in the first place. I have gone 300-500GB a month multiple times since they imposed them and never got a letter or notice. I am sure that might be base off location since I do live in the suburbs, but still. Unjustified IMO.

Goro

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
YES AND PUT CHARTER COMMUNICATIONS RIGHT WITH THEM!!!!!!
I know I wrote in CAPS and the reason is I hate Charter with a passion. Its been over 4 years YES,FOUR YEARS since I moved and I am still having issues with the account. I could write 20 pages on all the idiocy that went on.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
I've had comcast living in a couple places. Shipshewana, IN, Ft. Stewart GA, and I have had very few problems with comcast. Over all they've been pretty decent. Other then they love sending out techs. because their phone techs don't know shit. But eh never got charged for that, so that's far from the worse company in my mind.

I think a lot of people just hate on comcast just to hate on them. Sord of like how people hate on windows. It's the cool thing to do.

kooltime

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
add our US Government to the list. Not our fault everyone is unemployed now, hahaha, its the businesses fault we only grab thier taxes, and charge its citzens a fee for everything they need to live on.

Income tax and sales tax, they are just double dipping the suckers forever -p

Status
Not open for further replies.