Comfortable closed-back headphones for custom headset setup

justcallmetom13

Estimable
Mar 17, 2014
Hey guys, ever since I've seen this video I've really wanted to make a custom headset of mine since I've been using an old pair of Logitech F540s for the longest time which doesn't have the best playback and recording audio quality.

Video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fD-M1F6L4g

Basically I'm going to be attaching the Antlion Modmic 4.0 (shown in video above) to a pair of headphones. This will be my new gaming headset/music listening headphones,

So what I'm looking for is a pair of cans that is..
1. Closed - I play games a fairly noisy environment so a closed type headphone would be nice.
2. Comfortable - I play games for many hours at a time and I have relatively big ears so a light, around-the-ear style headphone would be awesome. (Something like the Senneheiser HD's, those go around my ears comfortably)
3. Simple - Nothing flashy, preferably something black.
4. Reasonably priced - My budget is going to be around 100 to 150 USD.

Thanks so much in advance guys.

Solution
Oh so that's what you meant. The only headphones that have a similar design to the HD series AFAIK are the Bose AE2, Sennheiser 280, and Sennheiser 380 Pro. Maybe Sony MDR7506s?

I've tried the Bose long enough to know they're quite comfortable, but not long enough to compare the sound quality. Haven't had the chance to try the 280 or 380 Pros. I know Sennheiser is known for their high end open ear cans, not closed.

I'll try to look into more headphones which match the design you're looking for and post back tomorrow.

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
If they did, there's an easy fix to that. Take a sheet of paper towel/tissue, roll it up, and place it in underneath the ear pads. I have done this with my ATH m50s and Panasonic RP HTF 600s to prevent the driver from touching my ear.

cotton_mod_htf600.jpeg

justcallmetom13

Estimable
Mar 17, 2014

It's not the driver that hits my ear, it's the ear-pads themselves. The top of my ear overlaps with the ear-pads and and get pushed which causes strain in my ear. A set of headphones that have a big enough hole so my ears don't touch the pads at all (again, like the sennheiser) is what I'm looking for. Btw I own a pair of ATH-M50's and those are not big enough so they hit the top of my ear. I guess I'm looking for something more ergonomic than just a circular hole, sort of like the opening the Logitech F540's have.

Thanks for the help.
Really appreciate it!

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
Oh so that's what you meant. The only headphones that have a similar design to the HD series AFAIK are the Bose AE2, Sennheiser 280, and Sennheiser 380 Pro. Maybe Sony MDR7506s?

I've tried the Bose long enough to know they're quite comfortable, but not long enough to compare the sound quality. Haven't had the chance to try the 280 or 380 Pros. I know Sennheiser is known for their high end open ear cans, not closed.

I'll try to look into more headphones which match the design you're looking for and post back tomorrow.

Solution