Compatibility Issue ?

nick_53

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Hey guys, when downloading Bitdefender Free it tells you to uninstall incompatible software like Superantispyware Free. Is it safe to reinstall SAS Free after BD is installed and running ? SAS Free has no realtime scan, so I can't see what problem would occur. Any ideas ?

Solution

Again, I would not install SAS Free .... it's not a reliable solution. There are other free programs that work better

If you want to find out why the BD folks list it is incompatible, the best way to find out is to ask them.

nick_53

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Hey smorizio, I know about the one av rule, but SAS Free is an antispyware/anti-malware sort of in same category as Malwarebytes,, neither of those programs contain an anti virus and are supposed to be run as an on-demand scanner in addition to your anti virus. I've use both SAS Free and Malwarebytes Free with every anti virus I ever had until now since this PC has BD on it.

While it is certainly acceptable to have multiple AV, malware, etc software installed, what you can't have is to of such programs installed and active at the same time. In a corporate network for example, each machine will often have an active scanner installed on each machine and then the server will perform a scan of all connected hard drives over the network.

For those with specific concerns about security, it is very common to use an active scanner for every day use and then use a passive scanner for file downloads and periodic scans to check for anything the primary scanner might have missed. Active scanners scan every file as it is opened on your PC. Passive scanners do not load at boot up and are not loaded unless you decide to load them. Once loaded, they do nothing until the user initiates a scan which could be to scan the file you just downloaded or to scan a folder a drive or all drives and then it ceases operation. If you have 2 active scanners, expect performance issues.

As for SAS Free, it is described as a passive scanner, it's not something I would install

http://download.cnet.com/SuperAntiSpyware-Free-Edition/3000-8022_4-10523889.html

SuperAntiSpyware was once a highly praised spyware scanner. Today SuperAntiSpyware struggles to maintain relevance in an era when such protection is commonly free.

Aggressive upsell: After installation, before you even reach the main menu, you're greeted with at least three instances of SuperAntiSpyware asking you to go Pro, including an opt-out action and system alert. The main menu also tries to reel you in by offering features that now come standard with many other free antivirus apps, including basic tasks like scheduled scanning and automatic updates.

Questionable performance: Scans took much longer than expected, roughly 43 minutes, and after all that time SuperAntiSpyware failed to find even basic infected files during our test. The finished scan required a reboot of the machine, after merely removing cached cookies. Many third-party labs do not even consider SuperAntiSpyware for annual or monthly benchmark tests, and it's not surprising why.

Dated look: SuperAntiSpyware Free edition looks like it's stuck in the past. The interface definitely looks and feels out of place in modern environments, using font sizes unfit for anything beyond the 1024x768 era. Though there are other visually bare-bones antivirus products, like Panda Cloud Antivirus, SuperAntiSpyware lacks the performance to justify its unwillingness to visually get with the times.

SuperAntiSpyware looks, feels, and performs like a dated piece of software. Move on.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2392877,00.asp

No real-time protection. Lowest detection rate and lowest score in overall malware removal test. Lowest detection rate in rootkit removal test. Left some threats running after alleged removal.
Bottom Line

SUPERAntiSpyware Free 5 says it will remove all the threats, not just the easy ones. In testing I found the opposite to be true; it didn't even remove the easy ones. You can get much better antivirus protection than this for free.

However, if it is being listed as something that is incompatible, I would not install it against the BD recommendation unless you can confirm that it will not interfere.

nick_53

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Guys, I have one anti virus installed, Bitdefender Free. I just wanted to know why Bitdefender considers SAS Free (an antispyware) incompatible, that way I definitely know why I shouldn't install it. Thanks for the help. Until next time, be cool.

No. Installing a program on your computer that you run once a week does not impact the performance in any way shape or form. AutoCAD is my most demanding application. When I play a game, it has no impact on the performance of the computer because it is not running. A passive AV or malware program that is not running will have no impact on your PC.

Active Scanner - is active at all times the PC is running and scans every file as it is opened. Typically also run scheduled scans of designated storage devices.

Passive Scanner - is NOT active unless a) you load the program or b) you schedule it to run at a certain time.

-Scheduling a passive scanner say to run at 3 am while you are sleeping has no observable impact on PC performance.
-Manually initiating a scan while you are taking a phone call, heading out to lunch whatever has no observable impact on PC performance.
-Initiating a scan has no impact on PC performance except for the 5 minutes it takes to run the scan. At completion of the scan, the process is terminated.

Again, I would not install SAS Free .... it's not a reliable solution. There are other free programs that work better

If you want to find out why the BD folks list it is incompatible, the best way to find out is to ask them.

Solution