Solved! Compatibility of LG Soundbar with Samsung TV and Dolby settings

Xboxerj

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2015
Good morning. I have a soundbar, LG model LAS551H, connected to a Samsung TV, model 49MU6290. I have the soundbar connected to the TV via HDMI ARC. When I go into the TV settings for the soundbar the only Dolby choice is DTS Neo 2.5. The other Dolby choices are grayed out. I am not too familiar with Dolby and I was wondering if there is something wrong as to why the other choices for Dolby Digital Plus and DTS 5.1 are not available. Is this correct as to how it should be? Curious as this is my first TV/Combo not using and optical cable. Thanks and have a good morning.

Solution
the sound will be digital, it just depends from the quality of the speakers, not the brand.
eventually the volume can be set to auto adjust

Xboxerj

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2015
Thanks for responding. So just to confirm I am not doing anything wrong, the only options available are PCM, Bitstream or DTS Neo 2.5? So then I should look for a 5.1 channel system ONLY to get the Dolby availability. I see many different models with channels in the 3 and 4 range up to 5. Just want to be sure before I go shopping. Thanks so much.

Last edited:

Xboxerj

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2015
Thank you. A couple of questions to throw out at you. If I was to get the same brand of sound bar and TV would that make a difference on how the devices interacted and create different sound? Also, I was curious if I was to get a Roku and access the Apps through that if it would be louder similar to the output of Hulu on the Blu-Ray. Any thoughts?