Component Extension cables?

sparda1

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
I need to extend my PS3's component audio to my sound system. Are there specific component audio extension cables that I can buy or will a regular composite extension cable work instead? Pretty much everything I google only compares the video quality of component vs composite, but not really anything about the audio.

Also, does the price/build quality of audio cables matter too much? Will more expensive audio cables yield better results for a non-audiophile? I know HDMI cables are all pretty much identical regardless of price.

Thanks.

I know there's "component" video, which was modern in the days between S-Video and HDMI, but "component" audio? Are you talking about separate cables for left/fight, center/surround etc?

Audio cables are audio cables, whether L/R or surround. And no, HDMI cables are not all identical - some of them are really crap.

sparda1

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
Are you talking about separate cables for left/fight, center/surround etc?
My component cable has 5 connectors, the red, blue, green for video and the red and white for audio. Does that mean the red and white audio connectors are just the same as the red and white composite?

I am afraid you're mixing terminology.
"Component video" is three signals, commonly carried by red/blue/green cables.
"Composite video" is one signal, commonly carried by yellow cable.
There is no "red and white" video.

On top of that, you have audio - red and white.

If I was you, I would be more worried about the quality of video cables. Generally speaking - the thicker the cable is, the better is it. Go to your locak electronic store, they should have abundance of any-to-any cable.