Mosaic Mars

Estimable
Aug 15, 2015
(TL;DR: I have recently been facing random freezes on my computer. It is not OS related as it may freeze before POST or BIOS. I concluded that problem was either overheating or PSU (previously tested RAM with memtest86 and WMD). Installed SpeedFan but it did not help so I uninstalled. After uninstalling, it did not reset my fan speeds and my computer was extremely quiet. I decided to reset BIOS to default settings and it reset my fan speeds, but now Windows is stuck on startup logo. Automatic Repair does not function however safe mode does. Using safe mode, I used "sfc /scannow" and it fixed a couple of problems. However, using "chkdsk C: /f /r" stops at 11% and computer seems to freeze.) Specifications are in the 1st paragraph of the post.

Hello Tom's Guide Forum members,

My computer is custom-built from a local retailer. It features an Intel i3 Processor with a CPU fan (model number unknown, as the computer will not boot :() and an ASUS motherboard. There are 2 x 2GB memory sticks on the computer (a total of 4GB). It is currently running Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)

For half a month, I have been facing unpredictable freezes on my computer. I determined that the problem was not OS related, as the computer may freeze before POST or the BIOS logo. I can still consistently hear the PSU, but the fans completely turn off and the computer becomes extremely quiet. I performed a memory diagnostic test (WMD, memtest86, memtest86+) to ensure that my RAM was not faulty. I then researched and concluded on that my computer either had a bad PSU, or was overheating.

To further crack down the problem, I installed SpeedFan on my computer to address overheating. My temperatures were safe and I did not find any problems (CPU, System, stayed around 30C). I adjusted the fan speed to a low speed to observe if it would crash, but it did not. However, after using low-intensive programs (such as Skype, or Google Chrome with 5 tabs) my computer crashed again. I decided to uninstall SpeedFan and install HWMonitor instead. However, uninstalling SpeedFan did not reset my fan speed. I decided to check the BIOS configuration settings, where I found that that my fan speeds were set to CUSTOM. I reset the BIOS to default settings and restarted the computer.

Suddenly, the computer crashed at the Windows logo and would not boot into the OS. The computer continuously restarted until I was met with the "Diagnosing PC" text. The computer failed to diagnose my computer, and I left with a "Troubleshooting Problems" menu. I first decided to restore from a system restore point, however this did not resolve the problem. Next, I used "Start-up Settings" to boot into Safe Mode with Networking. This successfully booted me into Windows and my computer was able to function. However, booting normally still crashed the computer. I decided to perform "sfc /scannow" and "chkdsk C: /f /r" in safe mode (Command Prompt with administrator privileges). "sfc /scannow" fixed a few Windows files but did not resolve the issue.

Currently, "chkdsk" is still scanning the drive. It appears to be stuck at: "Scanning and repairing drive (C): 11% complete" and the computer is fairly quiet. I do not know if it is still scanning or if the computer has froze again.
Right now, I do not know what the problem is. "chkdsk" has been running for around 3 hours and is still frozen.
04JKC1M.jpg

Should I cancel the scan (force restart) and perform "sfc /scannow" multiple times to ensure that "sfc" did not skip any problems? Or should I keep chkdsk on for a couple more hours.
Any help will be sincerely appreciated.

Thank you, :cheese:
Mosaic Mars

Solution
Hi "MasterMace",
I do not know the motherboard number, as it is currently broken.
However, it is an ASUS motherboard, most likely built around 2010.
I remember reading that this motherboard supports 1st gen i3, i5 and i7.
(My CPU is an Intel i3 1st generation.)

The PSU was probably bundled with the case, as there is no brand stated on the PSU. I know from prior knowledge of building computer that PSU's built-in with the cases are generally unreliable, however this computer was custom built from a local computer technology store (not built by me). This computer has lasted for 5 years already.

On the other hand, I am thinking of reinstalling Windows. I will boot the computer in Safe Mode (it works in safe mode) or use a Linux (Debian)...

Mosaic Mars

Estimable
Aug 15, 2015
Hi "MasterMace",
I do not know the motherboard number, as it is currently broken.
However, it is an ASUS motherboard, most likely built around 2010.
I remember reading that this motherboard supports 1st gen i3, i5 and i7.
(My CPU is an Intel i3 1st generation.)

The PSU was probably bundled with the case, as there is no brand stated on the PSU. I know from prior knowledge of building computer that PSU's built-in with the cases are generally unreliable, however this computer was custom built from a local computer technology store (not built by me). This computer has lasted for 5 years already.

On the other hand, I am thinking of reinstalling Windows. I will boot the computer in Safe Mode (it works in safe mode) or use a Linux (Debian) Live CD to back up files.
But I do not want to proceed yet. However, if this successfully fixes the Windows startup problem, I will change the topic to revolve around the random freezes my computer faces.

In addition, I decided to perform CHKDSK with a Windows 10 Installation CD. It successfully performed the action, and CHKDSK did not find any problems with my hard drive. So the main culprits of this problem are either faulty PSU, or overheating CPU.

Feel free to post any solutions! ;)
Thank you,
Mosaic Mars

Solution

Codename48

Estimable
Jan 24, 2016
Even i am facing the same problem
Got almost the same config i3 540 4gigs of ddr3 ram with intel motherboard

But the only thing is that my pc freezes even in safe mode and even in ubuntu live boot

I have replaced my ram with a new one and also removed my graphic card and tried to run on integrated graphics.

Any help will be appreciated.

daywalker21

Commendable
Feb 23, 2016
I had this problem for a while I changed everything but the motherboard. Turns out my CPU voltage was set top Auto at 1.3 but my CPU needed 1.425 to stay stable. I would suggest checking your voltage to your CPU in the bios and make sure its correct.

Sep 3, 2018
We have 6 years old pc lenovo notebook five days ago i turned pc off normaly by menu now its sucks loading some while is lenovo intelcore logo after is shown loading Windows 10 after of IT one second its showed blue screen saying updating in progrese and It trys restart and its going the samé again i need help